Author Topic: GW Instek GDS-1052-U: Datalogging not working. Help?  (Read 2332 times)

Offline nikkodericTopic starter

• Contributor
  • We're all human, we're just like you man.
GW Instek GDS-1052-U: Datalogging not working. Help?
« on: October 27, 2015, 12:40:53 pm »
Hello eevblog community!

I'm having an issue with the data logging feature of GW Instek GDS-1052-U Oscilloscope. In the manual it says,

"The files saved in the LogXXXX directory are named DSXXXX.CSV, or DSXXXX.BMP for data or image files, respectively."

The scope only creates folder for the data log session but without the csv file or even the bmp file inside. :clap:

The hard copy feature of this scope seems to be working just fine so I don't think this problem has something to do with the usb or its formatting.

I already emailed GW Instek but I'm hoping someone here knows about this and can help me now.  ;D

Offline hexreader

• Frequent Contributor
Re: GW Instek GDS-1052-U: Datalogging not working. Help?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 04:57:36 pm »
I just tried data-logging for the first time ever, using FAT32 formatted USB drive 4GB completely blank - default capture settings with cal signal on input A - seemed to work perfectly.

Have you tried a different stick, freshly formatted to FAT32?
What version of firmware do you have? 

Does the scope report saving to files every 2 seconds? (assuming that you set the default of 2 seconds)

Wildly guessing here - but could it be that you are trying to save, faster than the scope can write files to USB? - try longer time between saves
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 05:02:02 pm by hexreader »

Offline nikkodericTopic starter

• Contributor
  • We're all human, we're just like you man.
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 04:56:58 pm »
Thanks for your response. I already know what's happening. It seems that my expectation of how datalogging should work in this scope is different from what it actually does. It requires that the signal should be trigger able and only then the scope will datalog the whole triggered waveform every some time. Maybe I'm the only one unaware of this. |O

Offline hexreader

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 05:01:29 pm »
the scope will datalog the whole triggered waveform every some time.
Yes, DSO takes regular samples. Much information is missed between samples. That is a big limitation of DSOs.

That said - modern DSOs are awesome....  even the cheap ones...   You just need to be aware of their limitations

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf