Author Topic: Hameg 203-5 troubleshooting  (Read 4218 times)

Offline lapoltbaTopic starter

• Contributor
Hameg 203-5 troubleshooting
« on: December 22, 2015, 03:02:28 am »
I acquired those scope a couple years ago and found that only one channel would sweep and show a trace. I had intended to repair it then but never got around to it. 

I now have the time and I am digging into it. After looking for obvious catastrophic failures I plugged it in again to see if the one channel still worked. It did not.

I am going to check the power supplies tomorrow night as I had an emergency network issue here and had to reconfigure my router.

The German manual on hameg's site is only slightly helpful.  I'll print off the diagrams for reference tomorrow, nut translating bots and pieces is painful.

Symptoms:

Powers on and shows two dots but will not sweep.

Putting a signal in from my FN generator causes the dots appear to wiggle but still no trigger or sweep.

X and y position adjust seems to work fine.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 03:04:06 am by lapoltba »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Contributor
Re: Hameg 203-5 troubleshooting
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 03:17:17 am »
I have tried downloading from three different computers at work and home with three different browsers and all combinations of security settings I can think of. I cannot download anything from that site for some reason. 

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 03:29:31 am »
I have tried downloading from three different computers at work and home with three different browsers and all combinations of security settings I can think of. I cannot download anything from that site for some reason.
For that site you must wait for the site to assess that you are eligible for the download, it can take a little while and then click the small "Get Manual" link that appears in the text.
The site only permits 2 free downloads/day.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 02:33:00 pm »
I was just able to get it while at work.  I did have a username and login at one point for that website but it appears to have expired.  They have no record of my email either.  Anyway, I have some stuff to look at now, first being all the voltages with the exception of the high voltages since the CRT seems to be working fine.

Offline oldway

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 06:22:58 pm »
You can also download the service manual with schematics from Hameg support but only in german.

http://www.hameg.com/manuals.0.html?&no_cache=1&L=0

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 06:28:27 pm »
The German manual on hameg's site is only slightly helpful.  I'll print off the diagrams for reference tomorrow, but translating bits and pieces is painful.

I did that already.  I don't speak/read German.  The manual linked above is a bit more helpful with English comments.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 06:37:30 pm »
The first thing to try on any old analog scope is to wiggle every switch back and forth a dozen times. Then make sure that the triggering is set to line so that it will sweep regardless of input.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 01:12:18 am »
All the low voltage rails I could find looked good.  I cannot get any sweep regardless of any switch settings (tried setting the trigger selection to line).  I didn't print out the manual today and scrolling around the PDF is tedious.  I'll print it out tomorrow on 11x17 for easier reading and dig deeper.

I'm open to suggestions.  When connecting to the CAL output I get two dots on the screen at approximately 0 and 1v. They do move around with the y position, but only move about 1 division at 50us time division.  Hopefully that is enough info for someone to maybe point me in the right direction.  I really don't know what i'm looking for at this point. 

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 02:17:06 am »
Screenshots/pics are always good to see but from your latest description it sounds like there is no sweep.

Sign of a  triangle waveform in the "Ramp Generator" on the X board is where to look first.
Collector of T509 ? :-\
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 03:23:04 pm »
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I don't have another scope to check the signal at the moment.  I may be picking up a tek 2215 today though.

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 11:31:30 pm »
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I don't have another scope to check the signal at the moment.  I may be picking up a tek 2215 today though.
Just picked up a new-to-me tek 2215 that seems to function perfectly for the small sum of $50. I'll make some adjustments on it and give it a quick tune up and poke around the hameg tomorrow. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf