Author Topic: HELP! Keithley 2701 bricked after upgrading firmware to D05  (Read 2407 times)

Offline simmconnTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
HELP! Keithley 2701 bricked after upgrading firmware to D05
« on: August 20, 2017, 05:28:27 am »
I have a Keithley 2701  Ethernet multimeter/data acquisition system with firmware version B0x which was working okay. I downloaded the Keithley FlashWizard32 C12 and 2701 firmware D05 package from Tektronix website.  The FlashWizard32 found the 2701 on the Ethernet without problem and the updating process completed without error. However the 2701 unit restarts with 'FPGA TIMEOUT' on the screen. At this point the unit is still able to flash through the RS-232, which I did. The updating took about 7 minutes and the result is the same.
I'm wondering if anyone tried the 2701 firmware D05 package from Tektronix website with success. The FlashWizard32 will not allow downgrade (perhaps with a secret command line switch it would), and the only old firmware I can find is the A05/A06 on XDEV (TiN's site).

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
Re: HELP! Keithley 2701 bricked after upgrading firmware to D05
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 06:16:48 am »
What error does it give when you try to flash an older version? Flashwizard allows downgrades with the Keithley 2400, I'm surprised they are different.
VE7FM

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 09:02:54 pm »
When attempting to downgrade, the VFD has flashing 'DOWNGRADE BL' and the FlashWizard32 pops up a message box as below picture. After clicking 'OK' the programmer says programming completed.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 09:06:05 pm by simmconn »

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 09:16:52 pm »
If you look at the release notes they mention not allowing downgrades after version C01 because of a newer flash part that wouldn't be compatible. So likely explains why you can't downgrade. I would think they do have a way to still allow downgrades, perhaps post on the Keithley support forum and ask about it.

edit:

Check out this thread, it indicates that units with B level firmware require a hardware change to be compatible with D level firmware.

https://forum.tek.com/viewtopic.php?t=128581

I also thought that with Keithley firmware the first letter always indicated the compatible hardware rev. So if you had Bxx firmware you had to stay with Bxx firmware. I could be wrong in this regard though.

Does your 2701 happen to have socketed flash chips?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 10:24:39 pm by TheSteve »
VE7FM

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 12:42:08 am »
Thanks. It looks like the case.

My board has a sticker that says 2701-100G2 (board version?). The flash is an Intel JS28F320. The sticker on top of the flash says 2701-800B03. So the original firmware version should be B03.

I'm surprised that the flash tool doesn't have old firmware back up feature, and doesn't check hardware compatibility before allowing the update.

There must be something seriously wrong with the FPGA image binary in the flash. The FPGA is a Xilinx Spartan 2 (XC2S50). The processor must be waiting for the DONE to be high after the FPGA configuration but didn't get it in time.   

Offline Old Don

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 09:20:55 pm »
Can you program it back to original B software with an external programmer or is everything soldered in place?
Retired - Formerly: Navy ET, University of Buffalo Electronic Tech, Field Engineer and former laptop repair business owner

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 12:00:32 am »
Stuart from Tektronix responded to my post in the Tek support forum and sent me procedures with older firmware. Now the unit get its life back. Thank you all. Case closed.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf