Author Topic: Help! Need recovery CD for WinME version of TDS 5054 (FIXED)  (Read 14667 times)

Offline darronTopic starter

• Supporter
Help! Need recovery CD for WinME version of TDS 5054 (FIXED)
« on: September 19, 2014, 04:52:04 pm »
Help!

(posting in Repair now, as that probably makes more sense)

I just got a TDS 5054 scope, but the hard drive is dead.  Well, damaged.  After two days, the ddrescue utility has recovered 1GB of the 20GB hard drive (still running).

Does anyone have one of these scopes?  I could really use a copy of a recovery CD for this.  A hard drive image would be another possibility.  If you have one of these scopes I can walk you through taking a hard drive image with a bootable Linux CD and an external USB drive.

I have a WinME key on the back of the unit I should be able to use with a recovery CD.  If I have to go the hard drive image route, I will change the product key in the registry to my key afterwards.

If you send me a recovery CD image or hard drive image I'll pay $100.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 03:49:13 pm by darron »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Help! Need recovert CD for WinME version of TDS 5054 *REWARD*
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 11:15:18 pm »
Get a Windows image from your favorite torrent site or get a Win2k CD from Ebay.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 07:03:42 am »
I had an MSDN Universal Subscrition from 2003 but It doesn't have the ISO of the disk, however it does have the whole installation, so I zipped it and i'm currently uploading it. Size is 383,977,943 bytes compressed but my upload sucks so there is still 50 minutes to go.

I'll send you the link via PM when it's done uploading with a link where you can get it and I will post here telling you I sent you the PM. I just ask that you tell me when you are done downloading it so I can remove it from that server.

No guarantee that it will work with a commercial license, but it should.

Just unzip it and make a CD (uncompressed is 427,485,647 bytes so it will fit on a CD) Not sure if you have to change the title in any certain name (the CD I mean) but it should pick the autorun and work.

And keep your money, if it works just do some random favor to a stranger (not the kinky way) it's good karma. If it doesn't work I take no responsibility.

BTW Windows ME was about the worse OS out there.

Edit: This is not a recover install, it's a full installation of Windows ME for a computer not a Scope, just be aware of that.

Edit again: to be clear, this won't restore the Scope program, you will have to find that.

Tek has this link for the firmware, not sure if it will have it all and you have to register and login to access it to find out.

http://www.tek.com/oscilloscope/tds5052-software/tds5000-series-firmware

Edit 743 kbps upload arrgh, but I think my wife watching hulu or netflix or whatever is killing it more than normal, then again upload speeds usually stink. Anyways, 7 minutes to go.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 07:44:18 am by miguelvp »

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 07:53:55 am »
PM sent with link, it probably will take you less time than for me to upload it.

BTW, this doesn't have the firmware nor the software for your TDS 5054. The link above this post might give you what you need after you install the OS also they recommend you download it directly to the scope via the network.

Let me know when you are done downloading it so I can remove it from my personal server.

Good Luck.

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 11:29:30 am »
Okay, I'll try this.  Not much to lose...  :)

I've read posts in other forums by people trying to use the standard WinME install to recover one of these scopes...  they never seem to have any luck with it.

I think the Tek recovery disks (Tek support guy said the WinME was on floppies... that doesn't make sense... since they don't have any he might be mistaken) have all the scope-specific device drivers already on it.

It's not even clear if the Tek recovery disks include the Tek scope application.  One post implies they don't...  just WinME/Win2K and drivers.

Online amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 01:56:29 pm »
Make sure you get the right version:
http://www.tek.com/oscilloscope/tds5052-software/tds5000-series-firmware-0

I downloaded the 1.1.5 and it contains these, so it looks like it should be everything except the OS:
Code: [Select]
Documents
GPIB Programmer
IVI Driver
IVI Shared Components
NIDEVICE
PNP Driver
Report Generator
TekScope
TekVisa

(There's a copy of 1.1.5 here although it's a different size. ???)

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 02:44:19 pm »
Jesus H Christ, why in the living fuck would they run an oscilloscope on Windows Fucking Millennium Edition?! I just.. I don't... Why? What were they thinking... I... What?

Sent from my Smartphone
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 02:48:07 pm »
Because when they designed it ME was the latest from MS, and Win98 was in the consumer market, NT3 was old, NT4/Win2k was next year's product and still in pre Alpha, and the current cycle was ME.

Could have been worse, it could have used Win3.0.

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 03:50:34 pm »
Make sure you get the right version:
http://www.tek.com/oscilloscope/tds5052-software/tds5000-series-firmware-0

Thanks!  I found the later 1.2GHz+ CPU version earlier, but not the correct older one.

I was looking online for old W2K-compatible motherboards compatible with faster processors to run the later version... unfortunately the holes for the serial ports / ethernet / usb / etc are precisely for this motherboard and I didn't think I was going to find a compatible motherboard.  Cutting new holes was an option, but a poor one for a scope I might sell in a few years.

This might work!

I was lead to believe from the Tek forum posts and the Tek support guy I talked to that you HAD to use the Tek-specific Windows install.  We'll see...

I'm going with W2K for now.  I actually still had a CD and a key for that.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 03:55:11 pm by darron »

Offline baljemmett

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 04:28:03 pm »
Because when they designed it ME was the latest from MS, and Win98 was in the consumer market, NT3 was old, NT4/Win2k was next year's product and still in pre Alpha, and the current cycle was ME.

Both NT 4 and Windows 2000 (NT 5) predate Windows ME - in fact, NT 4 predates Windows 98 as well!  IIRC there was a 'desktop update' available for NT 3.51 shortly after Windows 95 was released, and then NT 4 came along a year or so after that.

Perhaps the consumer releases were seen as lighter weight than NT - I'd suspect they were quicker to boot, for instance (certainly out-of-the-box) - and probably cheaper to license too...

Offline blacknoise

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 05:22:10 pm »
Some days ago i "upgraded" a TDS5104 from HD to SSD. The scopes operating system is Win2k. I still have the HD image (OS+scope application) on my server. The size is about 1.15 GByte and i created it using "Acronis True Image v9.5.8076"

If you like to try that leave me a short note - than i put the image on my ftp...

Kind regards

The following users thanked this post: wldshy

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 05:45:46 pm »
So far, no luck.  I still have 4 unknown devices in device manager and TekScope won't start because of that.

I've installed the drivers put in \Program Files\Tektronix\..., but that was just VISA stuff.  The VXIPNP driver looked promising, but it's not the base level device driver.

It's possible this older version only works with WinME... or there's some other driver install in a non-obvious place... I'll keep trying for a bit and see if I can figure it out.

Online amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 11:03:58 am »
Which of the above firmware packages did you download? ME drivers won't work on 2k, and vice-versa.

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 12:33:22 pm »
I tried the older one first, removed it, then tried the newer one.  Neither had any drivers for the main PCI card or what I assume to be the GPIB interface and the front panel.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 04:42:34 pm »
Did you read the release notes?

General Information
-------------------
The TDS5000 software is a collection of software components that must be installed on a TDS5000 Series oscilloscope.

When you purchase a new TDS5000 Series oscilloscope, the main Scope Application and Optional Application software (1M-extended memory, 2M-extended memory, 2A-advanced analysis, J1-Jitter and timing analysis, J2-disk drive measurements, JT3-jitter and timing analysis with Rj/Dj and BER estimation, DVD-optical storage analysis, PW2-power analysis and measurements, and USB-USB2.0 compliance test software only) are installed at the factory. Some software packages must be installed separately by the user, such as the GPIB Programmer Guide or the Performance Verification software. Refer to the booklet that accompanies each Product Software CD for descriptions and instructions to use their contents or contact your local Tektronix representative.

The software is on two distinct CD-ROMs: TDS5000 Series Operating System Restore CD and TDS5000 Series Product Software CD. The release supports English only.

To update the instrument software to a newer version than was shipped with the oscilloscope, see the instructions included with the TDS5000 Series Product Software CD.

The oscilloscope is supplied with the following paper documents in English, unless noted otherwise:
User Manual
Quick Reference (in ten languages)
Graphical Packing List
Oscilloscope Analysis and Connectivity Made Easy (User Manuals for Options J1, J2, JT3, DVD, PW2, USB application software packages, if you ordered them.)
Optional Application Software Installation Manual
TDSUSB2 Reference Card

Look for where they are at in there or ask Tek about the location of those missing bits.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 04:45:59 pm by miguelvp »

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 02:33:08 am »
It appears the GPIB Programmer and the other extras on the software install are libraries, software interfaces, and example code projects for using the scope with other applications... (Possibly including TekScope itself)  So... they're intermediate layers between the drivers and the user applications.

The drivers themselves must be on the recovery CD.

I did work through a Tek support ticket, which ended after a couple days with them saying a recovery CD is required and they just don't have any left.  (Of the WinME version... they have the Win2K version but at a fairly crazy price for a media replacement)

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 03:23:20 am »
Relevant:

http://www.tequipment.net/assets/1/26/Documents/TDS5000B_CDBooklet.pdf

which mentions the software should be in the "GPIB Programmer" of the Product Software CD-ROM Contents.

Also

Part# 063350807   Tektronix 063350807 Software Pkg; Product,V1.2.1,Cd;Tds5000 Series
Which seems to be the same as:
http://www.tek.com/oscilloscope/tds5052-software/tds5000-series-firmware since it mentions, Part Number: 063350807

You sure it doesn't contain the "GPIB Programmer" directory?

Last:

Part# 063350902   Tektronix 063350902 Software Pkg; Operating System Restore, Calabassis Intel Motherbd, Winme,Cd;Tds5000 Series
which I can't find at the Tek site.

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/tektronix/pricelist-service-parts.htm
has them for $263 and $372

There are other places a bit cheaper but not by much, but at least you have the part numbers.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 03:39:44 am »
Tequipment has it for $256 and with the eevblog 6% discount might be worth while (about $241)

http://www.tequipment.net/Tektronix/63350807/

They aslo have it with the os system restore for the calabasss intel motherboard winme cd for $363.00

http://www.tequipment.net/Tektronix/63350902/

Maybe you can pm tequipment here at the forum to make sure they have what you need.

A working one goes for $4K easy so it might be worth your while if you know it's going to work well.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 03:42:27 am by miguelvp »

• Supporter
Re: Help! Need recovert CD for WinME version of TDS 5054
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 07:27:51 pm »
Woo hoo!  I got it running again!

I managed to locate a hard drive image from a similar scope. It locked up on boot at first, but after booting in safe mode and removing TekScope and installing the older TekScope version it seems to run fine.

There are WAY more drivers on the hard drive than were in the software package. It looks like only the recovery CD contains those drivers. I used the built in drivers to get the touchscreen and thermal printer working, as they weren't initially.

Oops! I messed it up running sysprep and trying a non-OEM Windows 2000 key, so I'm going to reinstall Windows 2000 from my own CD and pull the drivers I need from the hard drive image I received. I'd prefer not to be running the donor's OS key.

I've ordered a $64 32GB PATA SSD for this thing, too.  Hopefully that helps me out a bit on boot speed.

The following users thanked this post: wldshy

Offline wldshy

• Contributor
Re: Help! Need recovery CD for WinME version of TDS 5054 (FIXED)
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2016, 07:27:04 pm »
Where you got its driver?
I hit the nearly same situation,My Hard disk  broken,changed and cannot find these drivers.

|O

Offline harrimansat

• Regular Contributor

The following users thanked this post: THDplusN_bad, denimdragon

Offline harrimansat

• Regular Contributor

The following users thanked this post: clay_cowgill, coromonadalix, tcottle, THDplusN_bad, analogRF

Offline wxddjc

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2020, 03:58:14 pm »
Hi harrimansat, I have downloaded your ISO,but when I try to unzip the recovery file IMAGE.PQI ,I found I needed a password,Could you please provide the password,thanks a lot!

Offline BrunoGelli

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2022, 08:57:05 pm »
Hi!

Do you still have the image? I just found out I have access to one of this scopes (TDS 5054) and I would love to repair it to donate to my local university electronics lab. Someone tried a "ssd transplant" and killed the data from de old HDD...

Thanks!

Offline Wahyueko

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2022, 10:37:59 pm »
Help me , if anyone have downloadable IMAGE ISO system restore TDS5032 I will buy it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf