Author Topic: Help finding quality electrical glue (Carbon Conductive ink)  (Read 3524 times)

Offline romantronixlabTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Help finding quality electrical glue (Carbon Conductive ink)
« on: February 25, 2016, 07:13:46 pm »
Hello All:  :-+
  I have search High and Low on the web looking for quality carbon ink to repair an IR remote with carbon conducting switch. On eBay the only ones I see are the generic Chinese looking ones that some say it is not that all good and varies on resistance much.  Even the one on the link stated Made in the USA.  :-//
  I have search MG Chemicals, Chemtronics, Kester and CAIG, but have not found something similar to that on eBay that is not of questionable source / quality.
  What could be a good product recommendation to fix the remote pad? Is the eBay one good enough or just pos?
Will think about it.

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
Re: Help finding quality electrical glue (Carbon Conductive ink)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 07:18:47 pm »
I would look at conductive epoxy and/or rear window defroster repair kits. Both of those will be conductive and should be good enough to repair the damage you show.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 07:21:59 pm »
Its not the contact pad, its a carbon ink jumper over the adjacent track.   I'd use nickel or silver conductive ink, for a significantly lower resistance than you can get with carbon ink.  There are various easy to use pen type products sold for track repair or to the maker community.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 07:46:32 pm »
Don't need to be high quality or low resistance stuff. Al long as the resistance will be in the range of a few hundred ohms, there won't be any issue at all.

Offline ruffy91

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 07:57:11 pm »
Peters SD2842 (sliding contacts) or SD2843  (buttons). If you request a "sample" you'll get half a liter of it for free!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 11:16:55 pm »
Thank you all for suggestions,  Did not think about PedroDaGr8 rear window defroster kit idea. Now would need to source it. thinking auto parts store.
What about the eBay wire glue has any one used that before?>
Will think about it.

Offline doktori

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 05:20:10 pm »
Buy a tube of Dry Powdered Graphite Lube  (auto parts store - Wally World, etc)
Buy a tube of "Non-Toxic Cement for Plastic Models"  - the standard solvent based model cement won't work.
Mix a paste and apply as needed.

I have tried a number of glues but only the Non-Toxic Glue seems to work after it's hardened.  The tube I have is made by PACTRA.

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 06:24:49 pm »
Are you sure is the carbon print that is the problem? Or is it the conductive pad on the membrane that is the problem?  Likely anything conductive that is not too hard shalll work (I think is the pad's problem), but get the smallest tube possible because the remainder shall be hardened up before your next use.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 12:13:11 am »
Buy a tube of Dry Powdered Graphite Lube  (auto parts store - Wally World, etc)
Buy a tube of "Non-Toxic Cement for Plastic Models"  - the standard solvent based model cement won't work.
Mix a paste and apply as needed.

I have tried a number of glues but only the Non-Toxic Glue seems to work after it's hardened.  The tube I have is made by PACTRA.

This is exactly what was thinking on doing. Will try it later on month end vacations.
Will think about it.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 12:45:14 pm »
Hello,
Well just a heads up, I ended up buying the product on eBay sold as wire glue by wireglue.us.  It ended up working very good for the repair of the remote carbon trace. Still prefer using good old soldering. But I must say this worked very good for what was required.
I played around with this stuff and there could be improvements like it being more tacky or more think. But this is now review.
Thanks to all suggestions. Is good to fix things.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WIRE-GLUE-Electrically-Conductive-Glue-/290695765305
Will think about it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf