Author Topic: Help identifying inductor  (Read 3731 times)

Offline JunkieTopic starter

Help identifying inductor
« on: November 21, 2014, 10:29:04 pm »
Hi
I am looking at repairing the pcb shown in the photo, an inductor has overheated and detached from the board.

I have the faulty inductor and it is marked the same as the inductor that I have circled on the attached photo.

Could anyone tell me, would this be a 37 micro henry inductor or 3.7 or something else??

Thanks
Junkie

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: Help identifying inductor
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 01:26:47 am »
I'd want to measure it.  "37" is too ambiguous.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline Raff

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 05:58:32 am »
I agree, measure it if you can as 37uH doesn't sound like a standard value anyway.

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 09:42:41 am »
Unfortunately I currently  have no way of measuring inductance, does anyone have any experience of cheap lcr meters off ebay? Would one of these be any good?

Junkie

Offline Seekonk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 10:05:09 am »
That looks like a filtering inductor and it wouldn't be critical.  The bigger inductor would be critical because it is part of the regulator circuit.  Since the little one over heated due to high current, there is likely a short in the circuit it powered.  I would start by making a resistance measurement from that contact to common.  It is doubtful replacing just that inductor will solve the problem.

Offline AmmoJammo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 10:08:12 am »
looking at the data sheet, it appears to be on the input to the regulator, so as mentioned, its not really critical...

but as also mentioned, you need to figure out why it failed :P

Offline Raff

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 07:04:00 am »
I've got one of those Mega328 based "fish88" component testers, it measures inductors pretty well, especially for something that cost $25 including postage

I bought from this eBay store, although the price has risen a little.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/M328-ESR-Meter-led-Transistor-Tester-Diode-Triode-Capacitance-MOS-PNP-NPN-L-C-R-/311031023109?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item486ae4c605

I also bought one from here for a mate, when he saw mine he had to have one  :-DD

Offline Richard Head

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 09:17:14 am »
It wouldn't surprise me if you soldered it back in place and the card worked. It may have overheated and unsoldered itself due to excessive load current.

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 12:25:42 pm »
Cheers for the advice, it appears the inductor was indeed just for filtering and there was a (partial) short in another board that the boost circuit was powering.....

The circuit being powered is a ccfl invertor for a 4"tft display, there is no dead short but the circuit is drawing excessive current, I desoldered the fuse shown in the photo below and the circuit now powers up ok, now just need to fault find the inverter board.... What's the chances it could be a leaky capacitor ( they all physically look ok)??

Junkie

Offline EMUD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 04:25:56 pm »
Hi,
you donĀ“t need a inductance meter to measure it. What you need is a frequency generator (up to 100KHz is ok)
and an oscilloscope. Take the inductor in series with a capacitor ( use 10nF or 100nF) between the generator and the osc. If you have a digital multimeter wich covers the frequency range up to 100KHz you may use it instead of the osci. Shorten the osci input with a 1K resistor. Now increase the frequency of the generator, you will find a maximum amplitude on your scope or dvm. Note this frequency. Now you are able to calculate the inductance (Thomson formula). If you have problems with the formula look for downloading "mini Ringkern-Rechner 1.2", its freeware und you can switch its screen to english.

But i think too, that soldering the inductor again will repair your supply. These are heavy components and are sometimes soldered bad.
EMUD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf