Author Topic: How to remove old analog meter?  (Read 2121 times)

Dave92F1

How to remove old analog meter?
« on: October 17, 2018, 08:10:42 pm »
Here's a dumb question for you all.

I picked up an ancient junked power supply to harvest the nice old analog meters from it. One I got out fine, but I can't figure out how to remove the other one.

It's got 3 screws that go thru a steel panel, with nuts on the other side of each. But the nuts are so close to the meter itself that there's no room to get a nut driver in there to move them!

I'm sure there is some simple way to do this, but I'm just too dumb to figure it out. See photos.

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
Re: How to remove old analog meter?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 08:14:28 pm »
I'd try and use (fairly small) pliers, to loosen the nuts.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 08:16:44 pm by MK14 »

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 08:14:47 pm »
Does it have a removable fascia?

Edit: If not, like above, use small plier or adjustable wrench. If you still can't get it dremel through the nuts.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 08:16:24 pm by maginnovision »

Dave92F1

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 08:16:00 pm »

That's the first thing I tried. It'll work if I'm willing to spend 45 minutes getting it out. The nuts literally scrape against the meter body if I try to turn them.

There must be some other way it was meant to go in (/come out).

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 08:17:54 pm »

That's the first thing I tried. It'll work if I'm willing to spend 45 minutes getting it out. The nuts literally scrape against the meter body if I try to turn them.

There must be some other way it was meant to go in (/come out).

Once you get them all loose a bit you'll be able to move it and make it easier.

Dave92F1

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 08:22:07 pm »
Does it have a removable fascia?

Excellent, nay, brilliant suggestion. I should have thought of that.

But, no. (See photos.)

Offline GeoffreyF

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 08:23:37 pm »
What the other guy said but it is also possible that the front part of the meter can be GENTLY popped off. Be careful because the movement may be exposed when that happens.  I have worked with meters back in the day which were just like that.   You may see a spot where the edge of the front is not entirely flush with the panel. That is where I would explore gentle popping.
US Amateur Extra W1GCF.

Dave92F1

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 08:26:43 pm »
What the other guy said but it is also possible that the front part of the meter can be GENTLY popped off. Be careful because the movement may be exposed when that happens.  I have worked with meters back in the day which were just like that.   You may see a spot where the edge of the front is not entirely flush with the panel. That is where I would explore gentle popping.

I just tried it (see my previous post). I got little tiny shards of brittle plastic (nothing I can't fix), but no access to the screws. (In the 2nd photo above, you can even see the other end of one of the screws - inaccessible).

My question - how the heck was it meant to be installed in the first place?

Offline duak

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 09:55:12 pm »
I wonder if they're the original nuts.  It looks like they have plating similar to that on the terminals.  I've dealt with panel meters where there wasn't very much room for standard hardware so they had smaller nuts and washers sized to fit.  Too bad if you lose one.

I had to tighten a sensor in place once and needed a thinwall socket to tighten the nut.  This is in a machine that was about 4 x 6 x 3 meters and the designers had to fit a sensor right next to a casting.  One more mm clearance would have made it easy.  Anyway, I pounded a piece of stainless tubing over a nut the right size to make a socket and then ground it down slightly to fit.  Like a chom, it voiked!

Best o' luck

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 11:13:32 pm »
 It looks like some home brew power supply using old Harrison ? meters and thus most likely non original fastening nuts, still begs the question of how the hell they got them on !.
Are there no scrape marks ?
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 02:42:20 am »
Pliers may work, but the better tool is the right size open-end wrench. If you don't have any small enough, then you're in the market for an ignition wrench set. Two sets, if you want both standard and metric.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2018, 05:02:17 am »
Like Nusa says, open ended spanner. How did it take so long for that to be said?
Once loose, finger turn the nuts.
I too think the original nuts would have been smaller, if the thing was manufactured in quantity.

Before you discard those nuts, check what the screw threads are. With such old gear they might be BA size, and you'll have trouble finding new nuts to fit.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 05:04:30 am by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline ivaylo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2018, 06:39:34 am »
If nothing else works you can grind/cut the nuts with a Dremel and a small diamond cutter or something. It may slightly damage the bolts, but if you are careful they should be fine. Again, if nothing else works...

Offline tkamiya

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2018, 03:41:12 pm »
I have a set of small wrenches.  It comes in handy for things like this.

Offline vidarr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2018, 03:54:29 pm »
Get a piece of rubber tube that fits very snug over the bolt. If you have to, put a little glue on it. Put the tube into a drill and the other end over the nut. Then slowly unscrew it.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2018, 01:13:59 am »
I don't think there is an easy way.  I have encountered many of these things from an era when labor was cheaper.  Markets were smaller too, so it just wasn't as worthwhile to optimize assembly.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf