Author Topic: HP 3455A AC or DC same reading  (Read 1746 times)

Offline ebakerTopic starter

HP 3455A AC or DC same reading
« on: February 09, 2017, 04:50:22 pm »
I have three 3455A's that I recently ebay'd.  They all seem to read fine DC wise, but with a DC supply on the front or rear terminals (2-wire), one reads almost the same on the AC setting while the others converge to nearly zero as they should.  Anyone encountered this before?

I have checked the supply voltages and they look to read within the tolerances.  I did notice this one has a darker display than the others but it also looks darker when off like it has a darker tint to the filter in front of the LEDs.

Offline Krytron

• Contributor
Re: HP 3455A AC or DC same reading
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 01:15:47 am »
Its been a long time - I donated my 3455A - but I believe it had AC and DC coupling that could be selected in the AC mode.  A real True RMS meter will read DC on the AC input.  I think it had a switch that allowed this.

On one of my hand held meters, a Beckman true RMS unit, this is also a check for the True RMS converter, to apply DC instead on AC and verify it reads the same.

I think the 3456A was a close made unit to the 3455A, which I ended up with several of them.

Check the manual on the 3455A and see what the coupling options are on the AC mode.

Offline ManateeMafia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 02:54:09 am »
On the rear of the meter there is a hidden switch to choose between AC or AC+DC modes. I bet the AC+DC mode switch is enabled on that meter. The info is located in the manual inside section 3.

Offline ebakerTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 01:50:01 am »
I wanted to swing back around and let you guys know that you nailed it.  So why would you want to bypass the ac coupling cap on the true RMS circuitry - LF AC?  It was interesting that when measuring DC with this switch enabled did not quite yield the same value as when it was open.  Many thanks for the help.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf