Author Topic: Pioneer VSX 1131 over current protection  (Read 272 times)

Offline Bigmike247Topic starter

Pioneer VSX 1131 over current protection
« on: March 14, 2024, 05:19:41 am »
Hi Everyone,

Noob here, hoping someone could help me out.
My Pioneer VSX 1131 AV receiver went into protection mode while playing the other day.
It now goes through diagnostic mode when turned on,and displays an error NG: (for all 7 channels)
When I check the error, it shows: DET.PROTECT:I
From the service manual this indicates over current detected, however the fact that it show this for all 7 channels seems a bit strange.
If I cancel diag mode, the receiver will turn on and function OK, however I am not sure if that is safe to operate it with diag mode off?

I have checked the main PSU (photo and diagram attached of PSU) and the +12VST pin shows 11.8V when receiver is in Standby, when turned on, this goes up to 17.8V. Is that too high or normal for AV receiver supplies?
Could this high voltage possibly cause a false over current  error on one of the other boards?
If this is too high voltage,
I checked the resistors marked in YELLOW on the diagram, they seem OK. Any other components I should check?

Any suggestions to what I should test would be great.
I'm not an expert, but know basics and can test some components with guidance. :)
P.S I roughly checked all the large main transistors on the main board for all the channels, and didn't seem like any was shorted out.

Thanks!

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
Re: Pioneer VSX 1131 over current protection
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2024, 02:03:09 pm »
I can't find the page where those protection wires go.

It clearly says earlier that there are separated checks for all channels.
Picture (p18/113) is also included, but no schematics.

Page 34/113, around a center of the top, has those protection signals to MCU.
Maybe problem is there since all channels are the same.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf