Author Topic: HP 3611A - wrong current set pot and raised cap  (Read 2007 times)

Offline JustSquareEnoughTopic starter

• Supporter
HP 3611A - wrong current set pot and raised cap
« on: March 17, 2017, 12:58:22 am »
Hello,

I picked up an HP 3611A off ebay. when testing the voltage control was within spec but found that the current would only adjust to about half of spec for both the .85A and 1.5A ranges.  upon further investigation it looks like r19, which should be a 10k 5 turn pot, was replaced with a single turn pot, I did not check its value! So, I'll be ordering a new pot for this unit and that should clear that up, very strange.

my question though, I also see a capacitor with a raised vent, should I go ahead and replace it or should I replace the pot only and see if measurements are in spec under load?

Thanks!

Offline singapol

• Frequent Contributor
Re: HP 3611A - wrong current set pot and raised cap
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 01:55:16 am »
The cap should be replaced as it's not normal...something changed.

The following users thanked this post: JustSquareEnough

Offline JustSquareEnoughTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 01:05:36 am »
I finally got around to repairing this. Turns out the pot was the right value, 10k but was not a 10 turn as it should be. So the raised and by repair time leaking capacitor was causing the issues with not getting the upper limit on the current limit control.  I recorded a video and put a few pictures on my blog if any one cares to watch  :-DD

although it was pretty easy diagnostic it was still a fun repair, and it was my first  :-+

website: http://justsquareenough.com/Electronics/HPE3611ARepair

Offline anotherlin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 08:46:12 pm »
Hey, I just watch the video, nice ! :)

As for your question about the 35V vs. 50V rated capacitors on the schematic vs. the actual device.
My guess is that when the schematic was drawn, the 470uF wasn't available at 35V or rather, they've just made a mistake, drawing 470uF instead of 330uF. For the design at hand, 330uF is probably more than sufficient, not much current is to be drawn from the +/-12 rails. Also, the AC voltage shouldn't be higher than 20VAC, so a 35V is perfectly adequate with much than enough safety margin.

As for testing the current limiting, why don't you just short your DMM in ampmeter "mode" ?
"Lots of people have made $100K or more mistakes and didn't get the boot. It's called training, why fire them after such an expensive lesson?" -- EEVblog Electronics Community Forum

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 11:01:11 pm »
Congrats on your first repair, JustSquareEnough. Warning, it can be addictive.  :-/O ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf