Author Topic: HP 37732A Datacom Telecom Analyzer  (Read 1231 times)

Offline AllTheGearNoIdeaTopic starter

• Supporter
    • AllTheGearNoIdea
HP 37732A Datacom Telecom Analyzer
« on: August 14, 2017, 12:04:15 pm »
Hello 

I recently bought a HP 37732A Datacom Telecom Analyzer. I was getting a corrupt RAM message at start up and removed the cover to investigate a replacement lithium battery.  I did not dissemble it completely just removed it from the cover without removing any connectors or components.  I then reassembled it and I have a replacement battery on order.

Anyway when I switched on I then had a screen fault.  It looks like the horizontal hold with the graphics scrolling sideways ways across the screen – no it’s not  a CRT.   I removed it from the case and tweaked all of the  visible connectors and resembled it.

I now have what looks like a bad column all the way down the screen about an inch wide.  I have posted some pictures on my YT channel and one of my subscribers has comment that its missing some of the interlacing.    I am not sure what screen technology its actual using  and I’m assuming its some type of back lit LCD.  Anyway I hoping some of you will be more familiar with this type of display than I am and can give me some advice regarding the failure mode I am experiencing.

I am really hoping its some form of mechanical problem like a connector or IC that just need reseating as It would be unlucky if it has chosen this moment to go bang.   I have the operators manual for the equipment but not the service guide and no circuit diagrams.  I have googled but no joy.

The equipment itself consist of a number of boards stacked on top of each other. The top board is obviously the power supply section so I assume this can be ignored. The next board down looks to be full of FPGAs  and then there a few boards under that with I think the video board at the bottom of the stack.    I’m going to separate the stack of boards  later in the week to replace the lithium backup battery.  So it’s likely will be able to tweak the connectors.  I have had a prod around with the unit powered up but have not managed to correct the bad column.

Anyway please let me know if you have any ideas.  Link to my channel bellow

Thanks  Chris

https://youtu.be/is1YqxsTetE?t=30s
AllTheGearNoIdea Where Its All About The Gear

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf