Author Topic: HP 4145B Semiconductor Parameter Analyser - Display shuts off  (Read 3549 times)

Offline fourierpwnTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hi all,

I have a 4145B (3 1/2" floppy version) that is somewhat working. Boots up, passes self tests yet after a short period of time the whole front display goes dead. No display, no lights on front panel but you can still hear that the unit is powered up. This has tended to happen midway through a measurement, however I haven't exactly tried leaving the unit on in the menu screen to see if it happens.

Does anyone have any experience with this unit and know of possible causes/fixes for this? Even some schematics?

Any help is appreciated.  :-/O

Offline IRFP460

• Contributor
Re: HP 4145B Semiconductor Parameter Analyser - Display shuts off
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 09:04:47 am »
By "No display, no lights" I assume you checked if the  LCD and the backlight fails or if it's just the backlight.
If so: Check the input voltages to the display, maybe it's just an old voltage regulator dropping out.
If not: Hold a torch to the display and see, if it still shows something, that's just your backlight failing, in that case you'd haver to replace the CCFL-Tubes, the inverter or the whole display assembly, depending on what's broken and what parts you can get for cheap.

Good luck with your repair!
Trying to learn english, if I make any mistakes feel free to correct me!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 02:18:24 pm »
4145B is way before LCD days!

Classic green phosphorous CRT  :scared:

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 02:31:57 pm »
I know nothing but my searchfoo found this :
http://manualzz.com/doc/11813434/hp-4145b-operation-service-manual--higher-resolution-scan-

Sound like PSU is shutting down, at least to the CRT

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 02:48:15 pm »
If it turns out to be the display,  then NewScope make an (expensive) suitable LCD replacement, if it is just the CRT that has failed (though it does not sound like that). I would start with the basics like power supply voltages. Compare before and after the front panel goes dead. Check if there is still signal on the external CRT connections (connecting a scope in X-Y mode to the X and Y outputs should give you something that looks like the display, without Z axis obviously). I am not aware of any usable service documentation beyond self tests, but that does not mean it does not exist.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 03:48:02 pm »
I know nothing but my searchfoo found this :
http://manualzz.com/doc/11813434/hp-4145b-operation-service-manual--higher-resolution-scan-

Sound like PSU is shutting down, at least to the CRT

Thanks, I had already found this. Even though it claims operation AND service manual, the service manual is missing from it :sigh:

Thou shall check voltages... Yep, just need to find the time to do so! Luckily I have a 4145A on hand as well (not sure that it works, it has a sticker on it saying "not to be used after April '94" LOL)

Thanks for the replies.

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 04:20:49 pm »
Dave at Artek Manuals appears to sell a 4145B service manual with schematics.

Offline tec5c

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 04:36:59 pm »
Dave at Artek Manuals appears to sell a 4145B service manual with schematics.

Thanks! I think I may just buy this just purchased this  :)

« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 04:39:26 pm by tec5c »

Offline tec5c

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 11:41:52 pm »
Not sure if this is the cause but it may be helpful to any future persons attempting to repair a 4145B which has no display.

If the symptom is "No display, but the fan is turning" the A11 board may have shut off because it detected an excessive current... *Reference to A11-1 flow diagram test procedure which is in the service manual* ...Perform the following trouble isolation procedure.

1) Turn off the instrument

2) Disconnect A11J2

3) Wait at least two minutes

4) If "Busy" and "Error A01" are successively displayed, the failure is not on the A11 board, go to Flow Diagram A15-1. If "Busy" and "Error A01" are not successively displayed, proceed with A11-1 Flow Diagram

The referenced flow diagrams simply get you to disconnect some cables and check some voltages, resistances, etc.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf