Author Topic: HP 8594E  (Read 3959 times)

Offline Nemo1956Topic starter

• Contributor
HP 8594E
« on: April 28, 2017, 02:57:42 am »
When I did a internal calibration the screen came up with a problem.
(Cal: RES BW AMP. FAIL).
What do I need to do to get this working again.
I need this bit of kit to get my other stuff working. Can anyone help me. :)

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
Re: HP 8594E
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 05:07:57 pm »
Perhaps check first if the coin battery is ok.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Ash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 10:52:24 am »
When I did a internal calibration the screen came up with a problem.
(Cal: RES BW AMP. FAIL).
What do I need to do to get this working again.
I need this bit of kit to get my other stuff working. Can anyone help me. :)

Hi Nemo1956,

Do you have the service manual for this spectrum analyser? I have the 8595A and it seems the same service manual covers the whole series.. all the manuals are available online, and I've also found the CLIP (component level Information Packets) for most assemblies as well.

There is specific trouble shooting information in the service manual for this fault. Section 11, page 9 covers this. basically the CAL AMPTD routine stops at the failing bandwidth, you can then follow some adjustment procedures in the document to re-align the filters or verify that the filter board is correctly working.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
Ash.

Offline schenkmi72

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 04:59:19 am »
Hi Nemo1956,

I had exactly the same error a few days ago on my newly bought 8594A. It has failed on the 30kHz RWB calibration. In the service guide (HP8594A-SG) which you may get from Artekmanuals this topic is covered in chapter 5, page 49. For me it was enough to only do the crystal alignments. This is quite easy, just to be sure having some good jumpers as crystal shorts. Take care to not short the crystal test points to ground!

My 8594A has loosed it's flatness data too but this is another story....

Hope this helps and good luck!

Michael

Online analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 02:29:52 pm »
Hi Nemo1956,

I had exactly the same error a few days ago on my newly bought 8594A. It has failed on the 30kHz RWB calibration. In the service guide (HP8594A-SG) which you may get from Artekmanuals this topic is covered in chapter 5, page 49. For me it was enough to only do the crystal alignments. This is quite easy, just to be sure having some good jumpers as crystal shorts. Take care to not short the crystal test points to ground!

Michael

I am having the exact same problem with my 8596E and I think I need to align the LC filters but
how do you make those "crystal shorts"? according to the manual it contains a 90 ohm resistor and a 10nF cap etc...

thanks

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 09:32:02 pm »
Hi Nemo1956,

Michael

I am having the exact same problem with my 8596E and I think I need to align the LC filters but
how do you make those "crystal shorts"? according to the manual it contains a 90 ohm resistor and a 10nF cap etc...

thanks
If the flatness data is off, check and verify that the battery is good before you adjust anything.  If it's dead, replace the battery first or you'll lose all the new calibration adjustments you just made.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Online analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 03:38:01 pm »
i get an error related to the shape of RBW filter and I can see on screen that the shape of the filter response is a bit distorted (the two sides of the almost gaussian response are not smooth ines) I dont remember the exact words of the error message

I need to know how those crystal short jumpers are made so that I can do the filter alignment, perhaps that could resolve the issue

Offline MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 05:41:37 pm »
i get an error related to the shape of RBW filter and I can see on screen that the shape of the filter response is a bit distorted (the two sides of the almost gaussian response are not smooth ines) I dont remember the exact words of the error message

I need to know how those crystal short jumpers are made so that I can do the filter alignment, perhaps that could resolve the issue
HP/Agilent used to sell the crystal shorts in sets of 3, part #5062-4855.  Good luck finding any.

Alternatively, in the Assembly Level Repair manual they show a diagram of how to make one from a 0.01uF capacitor in series with a 90.0R resistor with connectors on the ends:

http://www.keysight.com/upload/cmc_upload/All/08590-90316.pdf

Pgs 663 and 664.

There are several cautions about not letting either crystal terminal short to ground while accessing it through the holes in the assembly cover.

The following users thanked this post: analogRF

Offline Samukas

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2024, 05:58:41 pm »
Hello, my name is Samuel, I would like to know if it is possible to send the firmware for the HP 8594A spectrum analyzer, I can't find it anywhere, thank you to anyone who can help.

Offline Samukas

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2024, 05:59:13 pm »
Hello, my name is Samuel, I would like to know if it is possible to send the firmware for the HP 8594A spectrum analyzer, I can't find it anywhere, thank you to anyone who can help.

Offline Hamelec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2024, 06:56:48 pm »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf