Author Topic: HP 8753E - not working  (Read 1592 times)

Offline piotekp90Topic starter

• Contributor
HP 8753E - not working
« on: October 21, 2018, 08:54:49 pm »
I have acquired non starting HP 8753E with good visual condition. After turn on the power supply, fan start, LEDs on post power supply board are on, on front panel some LEDs are on. The display is blank and only reaction is when I press the green "Preset" button the LEDs on front panel are off and when I released the button they are on again. I have checked the power supplies voltages on post power regulator and they are ok. Do you have any idea what is wrong? Does anybody have the dump of firmware for this analyzer.

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
Re: HP 8753E - not working
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 08:57:44 pm »
I have acquired non starting HP 8753E with good visual condition. After turn on the power supply, fan start, LEDs on post power supply board are on, on front panel some LEDs are on. The display is blank and only reaction is when I press the green "Preset" button the LEDs on front panel are off and when I released the button they are on again. I have checked the power supplies voltages on post power regulator and they are ok. Do you have any idea what is wrong? Does anybody have the dump of firmware for this analyzer.

Might just be a display problem.  Is there a VGA output or other alternative video output you can try?

If the EPROMs have been dumped, they may be up on ko4bb.com (check the 'Manuals' section).

Offline piotekp90Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 09:35:01 pm »
I connected the external display to VGA output but there is nothing . I have checked ko4bb and xdevs.com but I not found the dump.

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 12:31:14 am »
Looks pretty dirty inside. I'd consider pulling the cards and cleaning each of them. At the same time look for any signs of bad capacitors, burnt parts etc. No need to mess with the actual RF parts yet. Practice ESD safe handling/cleaning techniques of course.
VE7FM

Offline Larry_Bridge

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2022, 04:32:15 pm »
Hey Baby
I have an 8753E with the same problem.
Were you able to repair your 8753E?
Please help me to repair my device.
Thank you

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2022, 08:22:47 pm »
Looks pretty dirty inside. I'd consider pulling the cards and cleaning each of them. At the same time look for any signs of bad capacitors, burnt parts etc. No need to mess with the actual RF parts yet. Practice ESD safe handling/cleaning techniques of course.

I would start by pulling all of the circuit cards and cleaning their edge connectors and their sockets and then reseating them and seeing that helps.  AFTER doing that, pull the cards and clean and reseat all of the socketed ICs. While you have the cards out, LOOK at the capacitors but don't get ahead of yourself and start replacing any of them unless they are VERY obviously bad. Take one step at a time or else, when something fails, you'll have no idea what you did that caused it.

"Practice ESD safe handling/cleaning techniques"   <<< Pay heed!

Get a manual and be sure that all of the cabling is plugged into the right connector. Some of these have many cables and it's easy for someone to plug one into the wrong connector.  Hopefully no one has been inside of this one before.  But if the seals are broken then there is no telling what kind of simple (or not so simple!) screwup that they may have made.

Probably THE first repair that I would make would be to replace the RIFA caps.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf