Author Topic: HP 9100b Computing Calculator repair query  (Read 2205 times)

Offline rickellsTopic starter

• Contributor
HP 9100b Computing Calculator repair query
« on: April 25, 2017, 08:54:18 pm »
hi,

Wondering if anyone has repaired an HP 9100a or HP 9100b computing calculator (Core Memory & CRT !).

Would appreciate sharing repair notes on this exciting (discrete transistor) vintage calculator.

thanks,
rick

Offline dfrederickson

• Contributor
Re: HP 9100b Computing Calculator repair query
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 09:29:31 pm »
Check The Museum of HP Calculators Forum, hpmuseum.org/forum.  The service manual and other stuff can be found at the HP Computer Museum, http://www.hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?hw=50.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 05:15:28 pm »
hi,
Yes, have already obtained the manuals and Tony's hand scratched schematics !

My issue is No display on the CRT and it is proving to be difficult to find the problem(s).
thanks,

Offline dfrederickson

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 04:01:35 pm »
I've wondered why Tony didn't use schematic capture software.  The service manual has better schematics, theory of operation, and troubleshooting procedures.
You can also post your question on the MoHPC Forum or email Tony directly.  http://hpcc.org/correspondence/index.html

Offline kwass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 05:54:49 pm »
hi,
Yes, have already obtained the manuals and Tony's hand scratched schematics !

My issue is No display on the CRT and it is proving to be difficult to find the problem(s).
thanks,

These are really hard machines to repair since almost any failure can result in a blank display.  I had a 9100a for some years (pre-Tony's schematics)  and was able to get a partial display with X and Y registers showing and some calculations working.  While trying to get the rest of it working I ended up with a blank display and could make no progress on repairing it all all.  I tested all the semiconductors (hundreds of them) and capacitors and as much wiring as I could.  Eventually I gave up and sold it as-is to someone.   This person later found that the only issue was a bad resistor somewhere on the core memory board (I think).

Good luck with it!
-katie

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 06:16:55 pm »
hi,

Do you have a Web link to the Service manuals that you are referring to ?
I have not been able to find any detailed HP schematics nor troubleshooting for the HP 9100, only Tony's.

thanks,
rick

Offline dfrederickson

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 07:17:45 pm »
Surf to the HP Computer Museum link, above.  Click on Product Documentation at the bottom of the page.

Here's a direct link to the Service Manual: http://www.hpmuseum.net/document.php?hwfile=790
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 07:19:21 pm by dfrederickson »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf