Author Topic: [update]Hp dv6-3046eo S1 socket failure. No image and flashing caps lock LED.  (Read 1022 times)

Offline RefrigeratorTopic starter

• Super Contributor
This one is a first to me. I've always thought that sockets don't fail, i guess i've been wrong.
I've bought a Hp dv6-3046eo laptop, non functional, seller suggested GPU failure.
And yeah, when i took it apart and saw enough dust to make a sweater i thought the same.
One reflow later and...... it's still dead  >:( Of course the first thing i did was to google the symptoms and i did stumble upon something useful.
What happens is you give it juice, press the power button and you get fan spin, a blank screen but more importantly a flashing caps lock LED.
The internet suggested that the way mine flashed was due to a CPU failure, reseating or replacing the CPU is the suggested fix but i'd be willing to disagree with that suggestion.
One thing that made me doubt that fix was that replacing the CPU did not work for everyone, sometimes the failure being very intermittent.
Secondly, while handling the board i noticed a rattling sound coming from it, judging by ear the rattle comes from somewhere around the socket area.
Now i have three choices:
First one being to buy a new CPU and hope this helps, but for reasons mentioned above i doubt this would help.
Second is to buy a new mother board, which would be quite uneconomical considering how much this laptop is worth and how much a new mobo costs. A used one would be an option as well but availability would be a problem.
Third option is to take a dead S1 socket motherboard that i have laying around and transfer the socket over to the board under repair.

I'll be going with the third option since it's the only thing i can do right now and here but before i go desoldering and resoldering the socket i'll have a look whether or not i can disassemble the presumably bad socket in the HP motherboard.
I'll post my progress here.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 11:30:47 am by Refrigerator »
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !
An expert of making MOSFETs explode.

• Super Contributor
Re: Hp dv6-3046eo S1 socket failure. No image and flashing caps lock LED.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 06:30:27 pm »
First observations:
The socket is not meant to be disassembled, i properly screwed this one, so i'll have to replace it not for sure.
There's also nothing inherently wrong with it, at least as far as i can see so i'll carry on with this experiment.
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !

• Super Contributor
Quick update:
It was not the S1 socket, rather it was the Radeon IGP.
I know it because i have an emachines laptop with the same IGP and it had the same issue of fan going whoosh and lights turning on but nothing else.
All voltages were there but on the emachines whenever i applied pressure to the back side of the IGP and restarted the thing would work and after a quick reflow it works like a charm, i'm writing this on it right now, actually.
So going back to the HP, since it has the same intermittent issue and looking at the IGP i can see signs of overheating around the IGP chip i can say that it is where the issue lies.
Of course me being a goof while replacing the S1 socket i puffed the board and it's a no-fix now, it was my board anyways so more spare parts for me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf