Author Topic: SOLVED: HP-P1005 printer paper jam  (Read 2954 times)

Offline orbanpTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
SOLVED: HP-P1005 printer paper jam
« on: April 09, 2018, 08:52:32 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I just refilled the toner cartridge on my printer and since then I always get a paper jam.
 The paper stops just before entering the toner cartridge.
 I could not see any debris or obstruction in the paper path.
 Also could not see any damage to the cartridge that I possibly made.
 Made the fill hole where the YouTube video suggested.
 The cartridge was the original, the first one that was only partially filled, that I refilled.

The motor and all the shafts are rotating when the paper is picked up from the tray.
Did take apart the printer and there is a "paper presence sensor" right before the toner cartridge. It is a small plastic lever and it works an optical path interrupter. That optical sensor is working, there is a different level is at the output when the paper is not there and when it was picked up and delivered there.
That is where the paper stops.
As if the firmware would not recognize the signal from that sensor.

Did find the factory service manual and that was some help, describing how to take the printer apart and where the various sensors are located.

Any ideas what else I could check?
I am not to keen on trying a new cartridge, might be just throwing out money!

Thanks, Peter

« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 05:23:52 pm by orbanp »

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
Re: HP-P1005 printer paper jam
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 09:04:02 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I just refilled the toner cartridge on my printer and since then I always get a paper jam.
 The paper stops just before entering the toner cartridge.
Is the paper nicked, crumpled or in some other way indicating the edge of the paper is hitting something?  If so, then there is still something interfering with the paper feed.
If not, then it may indicate the paper pickup is not happening at the right time, and the controller is timing out JUST before the paper reaches the sensor.  Possibly another sensor is sticky or blocked, the paper pickup roller or belt is now too slick, or a gear has lost a tooth.

All of these printers have different mechanisms, so there's not blanket answer for this kind of problem.  One odd one I've seen is some printers have clutches on the paper pickup mechanism, and little relay coil link solenoids that engage the clutch.  There is a rubber pad that sets how far the armature can get from the coil, and if the gap gets too big, it takes too long for the magnetic field to pull in the armature, so the clutch doesn't engage until too late, and that throws off the timing for the whole printer.  Replacing the rubber pad fixes it.

One test to try is to feed a sheet manually through the front of the printer.  If that DOES work, then it definitely indicates a problem in the paper pickup timing from the tray.

Jon

• Regular Contributor
Re: HP-P1005 printer paper jam
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 10:53:15 pm »
Hi Jon,

Thank for the reply!

The paper pick-up and initial delivery is as fast and quick as ever been!

However, on closer inspection of the cartridge, there is a possibility that it is indeed damaged.
There is a cover, or shutter, protecting the drum, and as if there is pin broken off from its end.
That pin could have opened the cover when inserting the cartridge, or when the printing cycle is taking place.
On the other hand I could not see anything in the printer that would engage such a pin and open the shutter. But it is also possible that I just do not see it.
I enclose a picture of the cartridge. The surface where the arrow points to looks like a broken surface, there could have been a pin there.
Does that theory sound plausible?

Thanks, Peter
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 10:56:29 pm by orbanp »

• Regular Contributor
Re: SOLVED: HP-P1005 printer paper jam
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 05:13:08 pm »
Hello Everyone,

The printer works fine now!

It was indeed that pin missing, and not opening the shutter when inserting the cartridge.
I drilled a tiny hole into that cover, tied a thread to it and kept it pulled and the shutter withdrawn while inserting the cartridge.
Once the cartridge is in its place the printer keeps the cover open.
It prints fine now, and the refill was also successful (so far).

Thanks again,

Peter
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 05:26:28 pm by orbanp »

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 08:08:12 pm »
Excellent!  Glad you were able to fix it.  These printers (and their cartridges) are getting crummier and crummier!  And, of course, they are trying to figure out ever more diabolical ways to prevent refilling.

I just needed to replace the exit rollers on my HP LJ 5M, which has now cranked out 178,000 pages!  YIKES!  But, at some point, I think I will have to retire it.  Too little memory, only handles PostScript level 2.  But, as long as I can keep it running for small change, I'll just keep it going.

Jon

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 05:52:14 am »
I just needed to replace the exit rollers on my HP LJ 5M, which has now cranked out 178,000 pages!  YIKES!  But, at some point, I think I will have to retire it.

That's nothing...  One of my LaserJet III printers here has almost a million pages on it.  :)

We've had that one since 1990 but don't print nearly as much anymore, though, so who knows how long it will take to finally get to click over that millionth page.  :)

Those early Canon printer engines are virtually indestructible!  Built like a tank!

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 06:45:52 am »
Too little memory, only handles PostScript level 2.  But, as long as I can keep it running for small change, I'll just keep it going.

Oh, also, I meant to mention that you can put up to 128 MB in those 12-ppm (EX-II engined) models in the 5 series.  HP officially only supported up to "66 MB total" but you can actually use 32 MB SIMMS, though you can only get to 100 MB with the PostScript module in there since it only has 4 MB on it and uses one of the memory slots.

I take it your unit just has the base 2MB + the 4MB on the PostScript module?

They're good, reliable printers...  I would keep using it for as long as you can!  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf