Author Topic: hp1740a no trace issue  (Read 2271 times)

Offline ApplemacTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
hp1740a no trace issue
« on: November 15, 2015, 09:44:00 am »
Hi,

Was wondering if anyone could help, I was checking the rail voltage test points of my oscilloscope, which was producing a trace. All rails  matched voltages shown in the manual. Then I was checking a capacitor, and after taking the probe out heard a bang. Rechecked the rails and voltages no longer matched what was shown in the manual, and the trace on the crt was gone. The power l.e.d does not light up although I hear a hum/buz from the mains transformer.

Any ideas?

Offline wn1fju

• Frequent Contributor
Re: hp1740a no trace issue
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 04:29:11 pm »
Chances are a capacitor popped and the power supply is in over-current or over-voltage shutdown mode.  If you heard a loud bang, it is likely that the component is visibly damaged.  Look carefully and you will probably spot it easily. 

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 08:43:40 pm »
The capacitor popped because I discharged it by touching it with the dmm probe, there doesnt not seem to be any visable damage, this is whats troubling me. I was expecting to see some visable damage.

Offline wn1fju

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 10:35:07 pm »
Oh, it sounded from your description that something banged a while after removing the probe.  Just a guess, because it's not too easy to fix test equipment remotely, but I assume the cap was one of the main filter caps after the diode bridges?  I would check the diodes and see if you blew some of them if you inadvertently shorted the cap to ground.  If there is some DC voltage present (on a particular supply), look for excessive ripple.  120 Hz means cap and 60 Hz means diode.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 03:02:45 pm »
I need some help here, I am a newbie to repairing test equipment and when you say look for excessive ripple, on tp5 the rail should be 15 volts its o.5 but how do I measure the ripple?

Offline wn1fju

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 06:10:03 pm »
If you have another scope, set it to AC coupling and adjust the V/div setting so that you can see it (nominally 120 Hz on a standard USA P/S).  Alternatively, use your multimeter on the AC setting.  Typically, the ripple should be small, like 10-50 mV, but that is hugely variable on the P/S supply design.  Having said that, you have another problem having nothing to do with ripple - namely, your 15V measures 0.5V.  At least on the service manual I looked at (from ko4bb.com), the schematic is annotated with lots of voltage measurements.  Work your way back from the test point until you find a spot where the schematic's indicated voltage is good going into the spot and bad coming out of it.  Could be something simple like a shorted output capacitor or a fried transistor.  Or it could be much more complicated if the P/S is
actually OK and is going into current-limit shutdown mode because something in the scope circuitry is loading it down.  For the latter, you need to disconnect the P/S from the rest of the circuitry to see if the P/S returns to normal voltage.

Also, since you say you are a newbie, be careful when working on this.  There are some nasty voltages lurking around.  Also, don't go anywhere near the CRT tube since there are even nastier voltages there.

The following users thanked this post: ddelectrical

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 09:54:46 pm »
I will check it in the bext couple of days and report my findings. Thks

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 11:09:42 am »

Ok seems like I have a trace now, but the trace instead of being horizontal is vertical.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 04:09:44 pm »
Problem solved I have a trace, things seem to be ok. Just need to figure out what I need to calibrate it and how to do it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf