Author Topic: Hp1741a oscilliscope 1volt square wave calibration issue  (Read 4532 times)

Offline ApplemacTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hp1741a oscilliscope 1volt square wave calibration issue
« on: December 06, 2015, 01:21:43 pm »
Hi was wondering if someone could help, when using the 1volt square wave calibration on the Hp1741a oscilliscope, the manual states you should get a square wave 5 graticules long. Mine is six graticules long and the end of it slighlty curves.

I have tried ajusting the trace alignment but that dies not change the length or the curve of the signal any ideas?

Offline cs.dk

• Supporter
Re: Hp1741a oscilliscope 1volt square wave calibration issue
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 01:43:25 pm »
What is your timebase setting? The lenght of the square will depend on that.

Trace alignment is for rotating the whole CRT. You should compensate your probes to get a nice squarewave.

Have a look at Allan's youtube channel:

EDIT: It was this video about compensation;
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 01:59:44 pm by cs.dk »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 01:53:34 pm »
Hi was wondering if someone could help, when using the 1volt square wave calibration on the Hp1741a oscilliscope, the manual states you should get a square wave 5 graticules long. Mine is six graticules long and the end of it slighlty curves.

I have tried ajusting the trace alignment but that dies not change the length or the curve of the signal any ideas?

A picture would help, as would a specification for the probe you are using.

Is the curve there if the input is grounded? If so then the problem is in the deflection circuits.

The trace alignment is irrelevant to the probe calibration, and to any curve on the waveform.

I wouldn't worry about the 5-vs-6 time difference, since that signal's frequency is not critical. Use a known frequency (probably crystal controlled) to calibrate each timebase setting according to the manual.

I wouldn't expect the amplitude to be exactly 1V. All that matters is that it has a sharp edge.

Ensure the scope's input capacitance is within the range specified for the probe, then adjust the probe to remove undershoot/overshoot on the waveform edges.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 05:25:04 pm »
I wanted to include a picture taken from my ipad but this forum doesnt except the photo format that the ipad uses.

I wondering if its the probes supplied with the oscilliscope they look like cheepos theyre sp100b probes with a switch that show ref x10 x1 .

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 06:09:52 pm »
Some probes simply don't work with certain scopes. Probes and scopes have different input impedances, that's why probes have adjustments to match their impedance to the scope. If the probe can't adjust within the range of the scope impedance it won't work.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 06:34:32 pm »
That makes sense, anyone have a surgestion of a good probe to buy for my hp1741a oscilliscope?

Offline cs.dk

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 06:40:33 pm »
I wanted to include a picture taken from my ipad but this forum doesnt except the photo format that the ipad uses.

Convert to a standard JPEG-file. Note the maximum filesize. Resize the picture to 1200-1600 pixels on the largest scale, and then upload. No problem.

It does not help you to switch probes - The timebase would be the same.
Probes that are not matched to your input impedance would over or under compensate = A rounded squarewave - Not a "longer"
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 06:42:58 pm by cs.dk »

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 07:11:17 pm »

I wondering if its the probes supplied with the oscilliscope they look like cheepos theyre sp100b probes with a switch that show ref x10 x1 .

What? Yes it does. The iPad takes standard JPEG files. Try uploading to a site like www.imgur.com and using the {img} tags.

Also, make sure your probe is on the 10x setting. Watch the previously posted video about probe compensation.

Finally, set the AC-GND-DC switch to GND and position the trace on the center graticule. Now, use the Trace Rotation control to make it as level as possible. Once that's done, don't touch it anymore. :)
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 07:41:53 pm »
Dear all,

Thanks with all the help its now after all your info producing a sharp square wave.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf