Author Topic: HP4156A Semiconductor Parameter Analyser VSU1,2/VMU1,2 Error 10031  (Read 1694 times)

Offline JohnPiTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I have an HP4156A Semiconductor Parameter Analyser. The VMU's on it give an error 10031 on power-up. When I remove them from the instrument, there are no other errors. I removed the board, and there is no obvious damage.

Any hints on repair, or searching for the fault ?

p.s. -- does anyone know if the NewScope-5 - type LCD will work in this unit ?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 07:50:59 am by JohnPi »

• Regular Contributor
Re: HP4156A Semiconductor Parameter Analyser VSU1,2/VMU1,2 Error 10031
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 07:12:30 pm »
Looking at the board, the material around U501 7815CT is discolored (nearly black on the back of the board). I'll replace it and see what happens -- nothing else is discolored.

The board slots into the machine -- can't debug with access to any of the parts or traces. If it failed with a shorted output on the board, I may not be able to find it; if it failed input/output short, it may have damaged other components :-(. There are 2 of most other parts of the board (2 channels), but only 1 of these -- it's likely on the motherboard side of whatever isolation is used.

Offline SaabFAN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 07:29:46 pm »
Darkened PCB underneath a 78xx-IC can be quite normal. They are specified to 125°C, some can take even higher temperatures, and it seems designers are ok with those temperatures.
In this case it looks like the PCB is supposed to be the heatsink.

Can you measure if the IC is regulating? Voltage at the Output should be 15V. If its less, the load is too high, or the supply-voltage at the input is too low.
If it is higher, the IC is toast.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 12:40:54 am »
It's burned under the regulator. I removed it, and on the PCB the output appears shorted to GND. I can't power the board up and probe it (it's embedded in the instrument when connected. I think I'll force a current from output to GND and trace the I*R drop through the PCB, or see if a thermal camera can pick anything up.

Offline fenugrec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 04:34:38 pm »
I can't power the board up and probe it (it's embedded in the instrument when connected.
Why not ? can't you solder up some thin wires to your test points and route them out to an accessible location ?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 02:22:09 am »
The board plugs into the instrument with a ~ 60 pin connector. As you say, I could just wire out the 15 V regulator node, but it's not that which is bad - it's shorted to GND somewhere.

Edit -- I fixed it. There was a short on the PCB somewhere which shorted the 15 V regulator output to GND. It has a thermal shutdown, but must have eventually given up. Removing it still shows a short. I applied ~ 1 A between the +15 V and GND pins, then traced the I*R drop along the PCB -- if there was a branch where it stopped dropping, then that wasn't the current path. Eventually I found a small 100 nF ceramic capacitor that appeared shorted -- it didn't look discolored or anything, but removing it removed the short. I soldered in a new 7815 regulator and now the 4156A powers up without any errors !
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 04:12:05 am by JohnPi »

Offline KrudyZ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 04:04:22 pm »
Don't you love it when you can fix stuff like that.
Hard enough, that you can feel smart about it, but not so hard that it takes forever...

The following users thanked this post: Samogon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 10:35:05 pm »
Same instrument -- it seems its battery backup (clock) isn't working. Does anyone have a service manual, or some idea of where that battery is buried in the instrument -- I don't want to take the whole thing apart if I don't have to.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf