Author Topic: HP5315A Opt002 Question  (Read 2409 times)

Offline jhujaraTopic starter

HP5315A Opt002 Question
« on: March 23, 2015, 07:40:47 pm »
Hello all,

Very new to the boards here, but ran across some interesting things in a google search which led me to want to post. I recently acquired an HP 5315A universal counter for a rather fair price of $22.50. Cosmetically it is in great condition, the battery from the opt 002 was removed and I noticed it seems to be slightly off frequency. Well, when I say slightly I mean more like 300 hz @ 10 mhz which is kind of a lot. Anyway, I attempted the internal adjustment from the service manual and the best it can be brought down to is around +292hz before it starts to climb again. Is my crystal old and just simply off? I have put in quote requests for a replacement crystal but I don't feel very confident that they would either have one or be reasonable with the price. Is there something else I can do? Another part that would work sufficiently? A perhaps does someone have a lead on the opt 001 board or what not? The counter is in great shape otherwise and I would hate to part with a good deal over a few hundred hertz. Any help that can be offered will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

And I just wanted to add that all the supply voltages are spot on. Also, for the input offset adjustments, the service manual calls out "A4P1", pins 5 and 6 to put the scope...There is no other reference to a "P1" on board "A4" anywhere, so I am not sure what they are telling me.

-John
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 08:19:34 pm by jhujara »

Offline Smith

• Frequent Contributor
Re: HP5315A Opt002 Question
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 06:23:03 pm »
It looks just like the 5316A I have. Their standard oscilators are not that good. Take a look here: athttps://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hp-5316a-teardown-and-frequency-standard/
I used a small pcb with an vctcxo, works like a charm. Unfortionately I cant help you with the option 2.
Trying is the first step towards failure

Offline jhujaraTopic starter

Re: HP5315A Opt002 Question
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 02:45:09 am »
Ah, yes. That is the thread that led me here in the first place. I really liked the idea, but I was a little unsure if I could do the same thing and how much it would cost. I will take another look to see if I can figure out what I would need to do. I have not made a pcb since highschool! hah!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf