Author Topic: HP8590L YIG output too low -10dbm  (Read 922 times)

Offline BjoernTopic starter

• Contributor
HP8590L YIG output too low -10dbm
« on: September 02, 2018, 06:06:11 am »
After much testing I am fairly convinced, that my YIG oscillates but that its output is far too low at about -10dbm.

Since matching replacement parts are not easy to find does anybody has an idea of what to do e.g. would it be possible to add an external amplifier or does anybody know any company that repairs such YIG oscillators ?

Offline borghese

• Regular Contributor
Re: HP8590L YIG output too low -10dbm
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 07:25:20 am »
What are the symptoms?
Can you post a screenshot of the calibration signal with center 500 MHz, span 1000 MHz?
Cheers
Borghese

The following users thanked this post: Bjoern

Offline BjoernTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 10:32:01 am »
At the moment I have taken out the YIG to measure its output signal with a RF amplitude meter. I have to guess a little bit the exact frequenzy of the YIG but I can see that it changes its output f when I adjust the analyzer f and the highest signal I get out it about -10dbm.
I am contemplating to try to amplify this signal by 25 dbm and feed it into the analyzer as a "quick fix" but I found out that so far all the RF amps. I found online require a minimum input of about +15dbm which is exactly the problem.

Does anybody have a source or advice on my idea ?

Offline borghese

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 11:55:39 am »
In the HP8590A the frequency of the first local oscillator varies from 2.05 GHZ to 3.55 GHz with a nominal power signal of 14 dBm
Cheers
Borghese

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf