Author Topic: HP/Tek/Wavetek PH163 mains lead?  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Chris56000Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
HP/Tek/Wavetek PH163 mains lead?
« on: November 16, 2018, 04:55:16 am »
Hi!

Can anyone tell me where I can find an HP/Tek/Wavetek "Oval" three–pin PH163 type lead or female compatible connector for purchase in the UK?

Every listing is either "sold out", " not available" or USA shipping only, the one listing that wasn't wanted over £200 in P & P and import charges!

It's for an old Data Precision Multimeter, by the way!

Chris Williams
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 05:00:19 am by Chris56000 »
It's an enigma that's what it is!! This thing's not fixed because it doesn't want to be fixed!!

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
Re: HP/Tek/Wavetek PH163 mains lead?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 05:11:01 am »
I would replace the socket with a modern IEC C6/C13 socket. I believe PH163 is not even rated for 230V operation, and as added complication, there are two different pin-outs with live and neutral swapped. I wouldn't trust equipment from that era to be safe if live and neutral are swapped.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 02:14:51 pm »
If they weren't suitable for 230V use, then HP wouldn't have fitted these connectors to equipment they either made in the UK or imported during the 1960's.
I suspect the power cords were never made in Europe and HP sourced them all from the US, hence they are only marked 110V. They changed to using the IEC connector in the 1970's, if they had carried on using the PH163 connector then I'm sure they would have had all the relevant European approvals & markings.

There are some available in Germany (where the mains wall plug is non polarised/reversible) here;
https://www.ebay.de/itm/222745856688 , their not cheap, but the only other way to find one is to buy something you probably don't want to get one.

P.S. You should check the condition of any original power cords & determine they are safe to use, the same as you would for any other cord (including modern ones).

David
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 02:40:51 pm by factory »

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 02:43:46 pm »
I would replace the socket with a modern IEC C6/C13 socket. I believe PH163 is not even rated for 230V operation, and as added complication, there are two different pin-outs with live and neutral swapped. I wouldn't trust equipment from that era to be safe if live and neutral are swapped.

Don't worry even IEC power cords/leads can have live & neutral swapped, one was found at work about 10 years ago when the portable appliance tester was replaced, the newer machine checked for this.

David

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf