Author Topic: Huntron Tracker 2000 Adjustment  (Read 3295 times)

Offline denimdragonTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • "Hole charge chaser and wanna-be o-scope fixer"
Huntron Tracker 2000 Adjustment
« on: May 27, 2017, 07:31:42 pm »
I got lucky and managed to get this Huntron Tracker 2000, An old Goldstar 9020A 20MHz Oscilloscope, and a tiny TV from the 60's or 70's for 180 bucks! Of course my focus is on the Huntron since I am a rookie to all this EE stuff and I figured it would help me in my learning (I'm currently in school for EE-first year) and also help me make a bit of money on the side by repair things and reselling them on flea... I mean eBay  :-DD

Here's my situation and what I want to do. I know it's a tall order, but with you guys here, I feel invincible  :-/O

First, I need to adjust it so that it's back in tolerance for all the ranges it has. All of them are off. The "LOW" setting is off 5.3% It should be 7.071Vrms and it 6.7 The tolerance in the service manual ±5% so I'm off a bit. I'm not so concerned about that as I am the higher sets, "High" in particular being out by as much as 11% out of tolerance on the low end. Actual reading was 35.9V and it should be 42V.

Now there is another factor involved that could be causing this. The manual says that I need to use a DMM with an input impedance of 10M??, but my rinky-dink Klein MM100 has an input impedance of 1M??. I called myself being smart  ::) and I used a resistance substituter, and set it at 9M?? in an effort to compensate for the different. With that in place, I get a reading of 0  :palm:

When I connect the DMM to the leads directly, I get the 6.7V mentioned. I'm totally at a loss, but then that's part of the learning curve. I'm sure my calculations could be better.

So my question is, I'm adjusting the variable resistor for the low setting on the board indicated by the manual, and the low to high range is 6.4-6.7 (using the 1M?? DMM), is my measuring set up the problem? Any suggestions on how I can make a testing set up so that I'll be able to test the voltage properly? I have a feeling that the way I'm check for voltage could be the main issue. I'm hoping that it's not a device that needs replacing (they have it well documented on what to check if voltage is not in tolerance). Also I don't have access to a high voltage probe so I can't check the negative voltage which is -1320V.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to get accustomed to working on these and then when I can get the basics down, I want to look into modifying this old unit to use low voltage (3.3V 5V) and also come up with a way to plug it into one of my laptops for further analysis features, possible through and arduino or other single board computer. TIA
"Hi there. I'm short in the hair department, do you mind if I pull a few strands from your head? Thanks!"

Offline oldway

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: Huntron Tracker 2000 Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 05:27:23 am »
The Huntron tracker 2000 is not a high precision test instrument.
If it works, do not tweak nor adjust it.

If you want to calibrate some test gear, you have to use a precision calibration gear, not a Klein MM100. |O

At what frequency is your Huntron setted ? 60Hz ? 400Hz? 2000Hz ?

Klein MM100 is average responsive and is only specified at 60Hz, not really something you can trust to "adjust" your Huntron.

Offline denimdragonTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • "Hole charge chaser and wanna-be o-scope fixer"
Re: Huntron Tracker 2000 Adjustment
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 02:39:00 pm »
oldway, thanks for the reply. I put it back together after I cleaned the case up a bit and made it look shiny lol. I didn't want to risk messing something up. It's good to know that it's not that precise which makes sense as It seems to me to be a miniature oscilloscope.

The jumper pins are set at 60 and 400, which I believe is the factory settings. I think I read a post by you about using the Huntron. It really seems like a neat device for troubleshooting. I have a component tester on my oscilloscope that works good. What can this little guy do (other than comparing two identical circuits) that my oscilloscope can't do? Any input on it's use would be greatly appreciated.

I'm going to learn as much as I can about this one and in the future I hope to own one of the newer versions. Prior to that, I will be searching for a better DMM   :-+
"Hi there. I'm short in the hair department, do you mind if I pull a few strands from your head? Thanks!"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf