Author Topic: Identify this part for replacement. Fertilizer spreader :)  (Read 2114 times)

Offline mechadrakeTopic starter

Identify this part for replacement. Fertilizer spreader :)
« on: August 13, 2014, 03:22:49 pm »
Hi.
This is and adventurous farm fertilizer spreader controller repair question. It stopped functioning properly and found one faulty thing with it. Blown open surface mount part. It looks like an smd diode to me (dimensions approx.  4mm. x 2mm. white strip on one end) but the markings on this say V6 (that is first line) 28 (second line). No manufacturer symbol i could see. Anyone can decipher these markings? I cannot get part like this for replacement now, for it is not a part number for anything it seems.
Thank you.

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
Re: Identify this part for replacement. Fertilizer spreader :)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 04:01:46 pm »
probably posting a picture would increase your chance to get a helpful answer ;)

Offline mechadrakeTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 06:23:50 pm »
Well maybe it would, but i have written all that is on that thing, my camera took a swim in my tea and not operational and the small parts were always a problem to take a pic. Pretty sure mobile phone camera will do even worse... :(

Offline Legit-Design

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 07:13:21 pm »
Blown open surface mount part. It looks like an smd diode to me (dimensions approx.  4mm. x 2mm. white strip on one end) but the markings on this say V6 (that is first line) 28 (second line).
I would guess if it's located between supplies, one pad to ground and another pad for example +5V then it could also be a black SMD tantalum capacitor. I've seen some that look suspiciously like big smd diodes, but they are just black smd tantalums instead of the normal tantalum colour. To support this assumption tantalums are considered being terribly unreliable, some years back they went up in flames regularly from what I've heard.

https://www.google.com/search?q=black+smd+tantalum&tbm=isch some good reference pictures.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 08:20:05 pm »
Well maybe it would, but i have written all that is on that thing, my camera took a swim in my tea and not operational and the small parts were always a problem to take a pic. Pretty sure mobile phone camera will do even worse... :(
If YOU can't decipher the printing on the part, we won't have much better luck with only your description.
There is a great deal to what it looks like and what the immediate proximity looks like that will give us a clue how to advise you.
You may think there is no additional pertinent information, but people who have been doing this for years can read a lot more from a photo than you think.
Without a photo, we are only shooting in the dark and unlikely to be able to offer you anything helpful.  Sorry.

However Legit-Design has a very good point.  It could very well be a capacitor.  Perhaps 28uF at 6 volts?  But, again that is only a wild guess.  A diode and a capacitor would have rather different connections on the board.

Are there no designators printed on the board?  (Like R17  or C10 or D7, etc?)
What is the power supply voltage?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf