Author Topic: Identifying and Replacing Wire to Motherboard Battery Connector for RazerBlade14  (Read 2218 times)

Offline RandomUserAPTopic starter

Hi everyone,

I am ashamedly a new joiner to this forum so that I can ask for help. I hope not to be a net sink on advice and support at some point, but in any case, many thanks in advance for any pointers for the following.

To cut a long story short, I believe I have a final repair to make to get my laptop functioning again. It is a Razerblade 14", 2015. They are very poorly made, don't buy anything from them. I spent a lot of money getting the power circuitry and caps repaired internationally. The final problem however is due to user error, so I am committed to trying to fix it myself.

I have bent / broken the pins on the motherboard connector that the battery plugs into. I need to replace the on motherboard connector. The laptop works it just does not detect the battery.

The Battery, which plugs into this connector, for reference, is called BETTY (http://www.laptop-battery.org.uk/laptopbattery/razer/betty-batteries.htm)

I would appreciate any advice on:

- How to find a replacement part, what it is called

- How to even go about the repair, what tools I need

- If this repair is far too risky given its proximity to other components, any advice on UK based services that might be willing to help without breaking the bank

- any comments or thoughts

I have limited / basic soldering experience. Some cheap soldering irons, but lots of patience and can learn.

It looks very fiddly. It is the white/yellow connector in the centre of the pictures. It has two rows of pins inside, a load of them are bent and one is snapped off.

Pictures attached.

Thank you so much

Would anyone be able to help me identify the white female connector in the picture? I’m stumped even finding a replacement for it. Thanks very much

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
Don't try to replace it yourself as you currently lack both the skill and equipment. When you've successfully practiced removing and replacing similar components on junk boards, it'll be a different story. Plenty of videos to watch if you want to self-learn.

Any shop that does board level repair on laptops or phones should have no problem replacing such a connector, if you give them a connector. They'd have no problem taking it from another Razerblade donor board, should you run across a dead one you can get cheap.

The part itself may be easy to get, but those aren't the best pictures. Seeing the battery side of the connector may help, especially if there are any identifying marks on it.

Many thanks for your advice, I will get repair help.

Now to source the part!

Some pictures of the male end of the connector below. hope this is clear enough, if anyone recognizes this or knows where to start would be hugely grateful

Thanks!

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
measure dimensions
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Hi - I’m sorry for taking so long to come back here. A few life issues got in the way.

I thought I made some progress, I indetified the following wire to board connector.

https://uk.farnell.com/jst-japan-solderless-terminals/sm30b-srds-g-tf-lf-sn/connector-header-30pos-2row-1mm/dp/2399375

It is perfect in most ways (pin spacing, board contacts). The issue is that the male head does not quite fit into the female casing. The male connector on the battery has slightly the wrong groves on the sides and is not as high as the correct male head (and to be clear the depth / length of the connector is fine, ie when the connector is viewed on the motherboard it is the vertical distance up from the surface that is slightly too large for this battery male head).

So I am now looking for a slightly different wire to board female connector with exactly the same pin layout.

This has proved incredibly hard to search for... I don’t know if there are technical terms for standard clasp / groves for these types of connectors)

Any advice welcome ... I’m so close I can feel it ! I’ve found a company that can do the soldering for me once I have the part...

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Humm Not sure they seem to look like hirose connectors ?? used in some lcd panels ???

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf