Author Topic: iPhone repair using a CNC mill?  (Read 1451 times)

Offline tsmanTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
iPhone repair using a CNC mill?
« on: January 20, 2019, 11:14:31 pm »
:scared:

The PoP RAM on the Apple SoC had failed so they milled it off and replaced it. Desoldering just the RAM would have been difficult and replacing the SoC + RAM together would have caused it to no longer work due to mismatched crypto keys and chipIDs.

They've done this before on other iPhones looking at their other videos.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 11:16:25 pm by tsman »

Offline stojke

• Regular Contributor
Re: iPhone repair using a CNC mill?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 11:33:49 pm »
At 3:04 the upper side of what ever is under the apple SOC doesn´t look too good.

Offline Armadillo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 11:40:04 pm »
The CPU is bounded to the Touch ID, so CPU cannot be changed. The ram can freely change.

I am sure DIY is different altogether. Watching is fun. Doing is another.
I can say, with the underfill of the CPU below, installing the RAM above with application of hot air will be a huge huge challenge. Chances, are some of the lines will be shorted  >:(.

Many iphone repair men will quickly not accept jobs of PMIC, CPU job, water damage jobs. Touch problem, VCC main etc.... they will grab.   ;D

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 02:27:11 am »
Just wait for the Chinese to figure out how to hack the keying and release their tools, and everyone will be back in business... until Apple locks it down again, that is. |O

Offline Armadillo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 02:44:31 am »
Then the Chinese better hack the cash card then hacking the touch ID because both are of the same category of "HARD".

Not that I say they cannot but I think they can do better than spending their expertise on just the phone stuff. And then, you said it correctly, Apple can change it next waves of phones.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 05:05:39 am »
That is very impressive handiwork...  hats off!

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 06:05:29 am »
Just wait for the Chinese to figure out how to hack the keying and release their tools, and everyone will be back in business... until Apple locks it down again, that is. |O

They already have... at least for some models.  Strange Parts did a video of a shop in Shenzen doing it.  I think he then bought the hardware/software to do it himself.   

Offline bayati

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 09:19:17 am »
Using CNC to remove bga ICs is an effective way, especially when adhesives are used to keep ICs tight. using hot air to remove big BGAs not just can damage the board but you can easily lift pads under the ICs and fixing them is next to impossible. I have change many emmc and cpus but still it takes more than an hour to remove adhesives. I am planing to buy (or if possible build) one of these CNCs.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 11:52:37 am by bayati »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf