Author Topic: It's never too late to fix something.  (Read 856 times)

Offline RefrigeratorTopic starter

• Super Contributor
It's never too late to fix something.
« on: November 19, 2017, 04:57:24 pm »
At least that's what i found out while practicing GPU reball on a FUBAR board.
Yesterday i received a stencil for reballing GPUs and went to my scrap box of dead mobos to practice.
Picked a dead probook 4510S mobo with a HD4330 and went at it with my hot air.
While removing the GPU i managed to not only rip off two data pads with squiggly traces off the mobo but i also knocked off a bunch of caps off the GPU.
That's not all, while wicking the solder off with some copper wire i got the whole thing so hot that the fiberglass substrate warped and i also cracked all the corners off the silicon die as well.
I reballed the GPU with some homemade solder balls which were made by cutting up some 0.51mm solder.
I then with no magnification soldered two ultra thin wires to fix the two traces that i tore off.
The chip then went on the board and with some heat dropped right in, the leaded solder made everything a lot quicker.
After everything was done cooling i thought just for the heck of it i'd check to see what the mobo does now.
Immediately after i plugged the power in all the lights went on and the fan went full tilt for a few seconds before shutting down.
"what did i expect" i thought to myself but before i had the time to unplug the power the mobo powered up and an image came unto the screen. :scared:
This was probably the sloppiest and dodgiest reball ever and it worked.
I mean why would it not, after all the cracked silicon die and the warped fiberglass substrate and the missing caps and the eyeballed matched impedance traces are no biggie.
I wish stuff worked out as well as this did when i'm actually serious about fixing stuff. :palm:

Ps: The laptop i'm writing this thread on right now is the very 4510S that i fixed in this tread, and using it i can already say that 720p60 video playback works without a hitch.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 05:33:05 pm by Refrigerator »
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !
An expert of making MOSFETs explode.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf