Author Topic: LCD module display on a Voltech PM300  (Read 3244 times)

Offline jpk42Topic starter

• Contributor
LCD module display on a Voltech PM300
« on: April 28, 2016, 09:20:17 am »
Hi there (first post on EEVBlog forums, hooray!),

Attempting to repair a broken LCD 240x64 display on a Voltech PM300 three phase power analyser/meter I purchased from ebay. The existing LCD got smashed in transit and unfortunately that was a long time ago, so its too late to get a refund or send it back.

The original module with controller and LED drivers plus the display itself is a Varitronix (http://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/Varitronix%20PDFs/MGLS-24064-C-HV-G-LED3G.pdf). I purchased a replacement from digikey (http://www.newhavendisplay.com/specs/NHD-24064WG-AYYH-VZ.pdf), however when I plug it in it won't work. The backlight will come on but instead of the main interface coming up with the appropriate pixels being on, all the pixels turn on and the screen goes fully black as a result.

I've tried most solutions to fix it, including swapping over the original controller IC (a T6963) and the SRAM module, to no avail. Has anyone experienced a similar problem and would know the solution?

Thanks.

Offline Andy Watson

• Super Contributor
Re: LCD module display on a Voltech PM300
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 09:49:48 am »
Is there an adjustment potentiometer for the LCD contrast (should connect to pin 4)?

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 11:22:19 am »
Is there an adjustment potentiometer for the LCD contrast (should connect to pin 4)?

I don't have it in front of me right now but I don't remember seeing one. Here's the board itself: http://www.newhavendisplay.com/images/large/nhd_24064wg_a_yyh_vz-front_LRG.jpg

Adjusting the contrast through the Voltech does nothing (confirmed this works with a good unit).

Offline Andy Watson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 11:33:35 am »
Adjusting the contrast through the Voltech does nothing (confirmed this works with a good unit).
That should have covered the problem.

What about pin 9 on the module - the Varitronix unit says this is not connected but the Newhaven unit has -10V output on this pin. Is this pin connected on at the power meter end?

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 11:38:33 am »
That should have covered the problem.

What about pin 9 on the module - the Varitronix unit says this is not connected but the Newhaven unit has -10V output on this pin. Is this pin connected on at the power meter end?

It is connected to the power meter PCB because this is via a ribbon cable, I haven't traced where it goes yet though. How would that affect operation of the module? I have probed the pinout on the module end and there is definitely -10V on that pin, generated by the onboard PSU (+5V to -10V).

Offline Andy Watson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 11:53:44 am »
How would that affect operation of the module?
I was going to suggest that pin 9 might be shorted to ground by the power meter, however, if you've already found -10V on the pin, that puts the kibosh on the theory.

Offline bktemp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 12:01:06 pm »
-10V could be a bit on the high side:
According to the Varitronix datasheet the old display required -9.6V, that's why you measure -10V on pin 4.
The new display wants only -7.5V. If it gets -10V, the contrast setting may be too high, therefore all pixels get black.

Offline Andy Watson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 12:18:40 am »
The new display wants only -7.5V. If it gets -10V, the contrast setting may be too high, therefore all pixels get black.
The -10V is an output from the Newhaven device - the Varitronix does not have it.
But yes - there is a difference in the expected contrast voltage (pin 4?) which could account for a blank display.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf