Author Topic: Leave a note inside of changes u make to stuff, for the next person/inteligence  (Read 2493 times)

Offline lordvader88Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
From now on I shall start doing that to stuff I fix/modify, so that when the next generation might acquire them, they can save time. something we don't have enough of. (I should proof read 1st more too)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 11:09:14 pm by lordvader88 »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
One guy I worked with did this wrong on purpose. Beware of asshats :)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
I leave them for myself later, because I might not always remember what I did previously there.

Offline xani

• Frequent Contributor
Leaving a bit of documentation of your own projects is a good idea in general.

Yesterday I spend good 15 minutes debugging why there is no HDMI out of one of nodes in my ARM cluster. Then I remembered I turned it off in software 7 months to save few MBs of RAM  |O

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
lol
this is why 3m invented post-it notes.  ;)

Offline xani

• Frequent Contributor
The biggest disadvantage of post-it notes is lack of search functionality. And I wouldn't want to leave them on anything as permanent info, they fall off pretty easily. For quick notes scotch tape is pretty handy

I've had a co-worker that just had a wall of post-its... from the desk to "how far his hands can put it" like a big shrine around the monitor

Offline Armadillo

• Super Contributor
To avoid the notes being a fire hazard, I would suggest putting the notes outside the equipment, inside a self-created docket near the power connector / switch.
This will strengthen the good intention in the first place.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
I always leave a label with the date and what was replaced after a recap action on a device.

Tac Eht Xilef

Old-school in-home TV & radio service techs will remember the days of filling out the 3"x5" 'service card' tucked into a #6 button envelope stapled to the cabinet ;)

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
Staedtler OHP Permanent markers.

Ideal for labeling all sorts of plastic, metal, glass and indeterminate materials, marking on plastic bags, plastic storage boxes, components, leaving notes to my future self inside things, 'fixing' PCB exposure masks, etch resist for quick and dirty boards, scratching my ears, writing on CD/DVDs, doodling, any number of things.

Offline Naguissa

• Regular Contributor
    • Foro de electricidad, electrónica y DIY / HUM en español
Petmanent markers and/or paper for hardware.

GIT comments and TRAC/whatever for software.

Enviado desde mi Jolla mediante Tapatalk

Offline ChuckDarwin

• Regular Contributor
3x5 in a slip on the outside or perm marker on the inside shell (enough info or a log reference)
A bit of painters tape on the bottom if there is no other place for a note or last service date.
A stand-alone wiki has been useful for keeping a rolling list of repairs, configs, tip and tricks.
An co-worker used to place a red varnish dot on or near the replaced components. I've taken to using a marker to do similar on the few that I do.

Some time ago, I acquired a used HP analyser with a jumpered fuse and a message on the case interior along the lines of:
Wasntme fuse assy replaced with Cupb hardwire assy, placed flammable substance sticker on outside
Note seemed consistent with modification.

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
I'd print something like this on an sticky label (you can buy sheets of them to stick on envelopes):

-----------------------

Professionally repaired by YOUR COMPANY NAME

Repair ID:  123456

Go to http://repairs.YOURSITE.TLD/ and enter code above
to access detailed repair history information

--------------------

Maybe add a QR code with the URL that goes directly to the repair with that ID.

and user can go to the website, enter code and see a read only log of repair with optional pictures etc
and it may give him the opportunity to list up to date phone number there or use your online store to order parts, if the same parts failed again months after you fixed the thing. (fdr example in case of audio amplifiers)

Subdomain on your website wouldn't cost you a thing, you'd still pay yearly for the main domain ... an extra mysql database and some custom programming  is almost free, can be done in hours in a day.

Offline schenkzoola

• Supporter
On physical equipment that may leave my hands, I like the idea of a paper note.  The future user may not know where to look for documentation.  I have found those clear plastic pouches that are used for shipping documents quite useful for this purpose.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf