Author Topic: LG LCD TV - extremely bright picture when TV warms up  (Read 2159 times)

Offline DeltaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
LG LCD TV - extremely bright picture when TV warms up
« on: August 23, 2016, 07:46:44 pm »
A TV in a local boozer is on the blink.  It's a 42" LG, not the newest.  It turns on OK, and displays a perfect picture, but after 10-15 minutes the picture "whites out".  I say "whites out", but is more like the brightness has been turned up to an extreme level.  You can still see the picture, it's just really really bright.

What could be causing this?  Is it (economically) repairable?  (I'm not sure if a replacement T-CON board is available)

Thanks!

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
Re: LG LCD TV - extremely bright picture when TV warms up
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 08:31:32 pm »
Could be a bad connection either to or on the backlight board causing it to loose the PWM brightness signal and default to full. Check the cable and solder joints (poke them with something non-conductive when on). Is it an LED backlight or a CCFL tube type?
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 07:41:29 pm »
you cant 'white out' lcd wityh a backlight

its a glass/tcon problem
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline BMack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 02:09:29 am »
I think you mean solarized. If that is the case I'd say it's either the panel or the T-con, it could be the power supply. First, flex the tv a little bit, if it fixes the picture it's a bad panel. If not check the voltage going to the T-con, is it stable? Check with the T-con plugged in and without it plugged in. I expect you'll be replacing the T-con. You can monitor it for hot chips and check components but check for the part cost first, normally we replace T-cons because it's not worth the hassle to fix it on the component level.

Online amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 02:49:47 am »
That sounds like a gamma buffer failure. Do they happen to be AS15/AS19 in this TV?

From https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/why-might-these-ics-be-failing/
Replacing the IC solves the problem in virtually every case (symptoms being distorted colours, solarised picture, poor contrast or overbright image.)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 02:51:53 am by amyk »

The following users thanked this post: Srbel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf