Author Topic: Microscope suggestion  (Read 13913 times)

Offline LEENOTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Microscope suggestion
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2017, 04:20:02 pm »

Offline agehall

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2017, 04:46:38 pm »
Wath do you think about this camera? Seller say it can have competition with sony cmos

https://eocmicroscope.en.alibaba.com/product/60658591523-804856991/1080p_HDMI_microscope_industrial_camera_Resolution.html?spm=a2700.8304367.0.0.766ba9c30z3IYI

Impossible to tell from still images and sellers advertisements - you need to see live video.

Speaking of which - here is a short video of what comes out of my MU503. It doesn't fully show the problem - it looks way better on YouTube than on my screen - I might have to re-record this at 1080p instead. But for now, just jump to 3:10 to see the issue up close.

Offline kalel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2017, 05:09:46 pm »
Wath do you think about this camera? Seller say it can have competition with sony cmos

https://eocmicroscope.en.alibaba.com/product/60658591523-804856991/1080p_HDMI_microscope_industrial_camera_Resolution.html?spm=a2700.8304367.0.0.766ba9c30z3IYI

Impossible to tell from still images and sellers advertisements - you need to see live video.

Speaking of which - here is a short video of what comes out of my MU503. It doesn't fully show the problem - it looks way better on YouTube than on my screen - I might have to re-record this at 1080p instead. But for now, just jump to 3:10 to see the issue up close.

Regarding the picture being dark, perhaps you could experiment with brightness/gain/etc settings in the software? If it is seen by the computer as a webcam, virtual dub should offer some of the settings in capture mode. Might help to see some things better.

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2017, 10:17:58 pm »
I'm very happy with my Omano OM99 from microscope.com. I bought the double ball bearing boom stand - which is great. The clarity across the field of view is excellent. It would be hard to imagine a much better image. The only thing I don't like is the looseness of the eyepiece width adjustment. But that's fairly simple to resolve.

Offline agehall

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2017, 06:07:32 am »
Regarding the picture being dark, perhaps you could experiment with brightness/gain/etc settings in the software?
And get even more noise? No thanks. :)

The correct solution is to toss this piece of crap in the garbage bin and buy something with a decent sensor.

If it is seen by the computer as a webcam, virtual dub should offer some of the settings in capture mode. Might help to see some things better.
It is not. It has it's own drivers and requires special software. You can set all the parameters in the software, but the only thing that works without having to tinker with the image all the time, is to increase gain and that is not a solution if you ask me.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2017, 11:19:59 pm »
Here is a sample photo from the microscope at full 13 MP resolution, Tho it is compressed down in a JPEG to make it small enough to upload(Raw bitmap is 38MB) The camera can spit these out at 20fps. That framerate is too low to be used as a microscope but it could be very useful for machine vision. Turning the resolution down to 4K UHD gives 30fps so it becomes usable as a microscope if you have a 4K monitor to take advantage of it.

Its from a e-con Systems See3CAM_CU135 camera module with a cheep chinese C mount microscope lens on it. The crappy optics make the image a bit fuzzyer than it should be.

The chip in the image is 0.5mm pitch and has 0402 passives around it so pretty small stuff, tho not quite smartphone small.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2017, 11:32:17 pm »
And here is a neat use for a high end scope.

I used a board that has a LED on it blinking at about 1Hz. One channel of the scope is attached to the pin of the LED while the other channel is connected to a phototransistor that is looking at the monitor that is displaying the live image from the camera that is looking at the same LED.

So letting this run for a while i created a histogram of frame latency. The mean appears to be 62ms and that works out to about 3.7 frames at 60fps with about 1 frame of variance around it, most of that would be due to the LED not being synchronized with the frame rate. There are a few outliers where Windows probably decided that it has something better to do than to show my video feed. So there is still some room for improvement, likely some double buffering happening somewhere still, but whats important is that the latency is very consistent and there are no dropped frames at all. This quick consistency makes it feel very smooth and you have to be really paying attention to notice those 60ms of lag.

Here is also a video of the cameras live view. Tho it appears there are some skipped frames here or there in the video recording that are not in the real live feed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueMfynmQi-Q&feature=youtu.be

Offline LEENOTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2017, 10:24:21 am »
What do you think about this camera hdmi 1080p 60fps?

https://mega.nz/#!TJoimbhT!JdFn0L5ehDdZADkojOyo0O7THimWsWzaXUYGyd2L5Hc

Offline TheNewLab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2017, 01:17:56 am »
Are you doing this for paid repair work? I keep thinking of doing this after watching Rossmann's videos, only I live in the SF Bay Area, in a way the center of Appleland...and I am not too confident people are willing to pay. It seems whenever something goes wrong everyone around here just go out and buy the newest model and then brag about it.

I have also thought of using ebay and finding "bricked by icloud phones. There are several devices that can quickly flash and re-install the IMEI numbers that makes them again usable. That is another $350. I am not sure I could re-coup the cost all-in-all.

So, please if you are making money on this, please give some background.

Thanks,

Offline agehall

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2017, 09:39:46 pm »
What do you think about this camera hdmi 1080p 60fps?

https://mega.nz/#!TJoimbhT!JdFn0L5ehDdZADkojOyo0O7THimWsWzaXUYGyd2L5Hc

You can't really tell from that video either - it honestly looks like crap, but it's probably mostly because it is a cellphone capture of a monitor and not the actual image directly captured from the cam.

Are you doing this for paid repair work? I keep thinking of doing this after watching Rossmann's videos, only I live in the SF Bay Area, in a way the center of Appleland...and I am not too confident people are willing to pay. It seems whenever something goes wrong everyone around here just go out and buy the newest model and then brag about it.
I'm not doing this for money - electronics is a hobby for me. That said, I have a day-job that pays the bills and then some so I can afford to buy nice toys and I've learned the hard way that having crap tools is just as bad (or sometimes worse than) having no tools.

I have also thought of using ebay and finding "bricked by icloud phones. There are several devices that can quickly flash and re-install the IMEI numbers that makes them again usable. That is another $350. I am not sure I could re-coup the cost all-in-all.
I'm not sure buying used devices from e-bay is the best way to learn. Especially not cellphones and tables as they contain a ton of tiny components that are sensitive and you need experience to fix those.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2017, 02:19:11 am »
I just wanted to say that Amscope is a trademark of a Chinese company, United Scope (Ningbo) Co., Ltd.

Ningbo is a bit south of Shanghai.

Seems like a lot of optical instruments are manufactured there.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 02:22:49 am by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline agehall

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2017, 06:28:08 am »
FYI: Chris Long has gotten the AmScope AF100 camera now and is using that for his YouTube streams. It looks pretty darn awesome tbh.

Offline Armadillo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2017, 07:49:34 am »
FYI: Chris Long has gotten the AmScope AF100 camera now and is using that for his YouTube streams. It looks pretty darn awesome tbh.

He first thing you see him in the video, he is eating..... LOL...  :-DD

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2017, 11:35:34 pm »
We recently had to replace some equipment due to a corporate split. Comint to the missing microscope, I invited both Vision Engineering with the Lynx EVO and the Mantis Elite and Leica with a conventional stereo microscope fitted with a larger adjustment range and a variable telescopic arm. The Mantis didn't cut it, I personally thought the Lynx was pretty cool, but I deferred to the opinion of my technician, who has to use it most: we got the Leitz Stemi.

Offline hs3

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2017, 07:33:49 pm »
In the video that I linked to earlier I understood that the other camera that was compared to and which wasn't commented very favorably was the AF100.

https://youtu.be/FTrVJX0byzQ

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2017, 08:25:46 pm »
In the video that I linked to earlier I understood that the other camera that was compared to and which wasn't commented very favorably was the AF100.
AmScope usually lists the sensor used, but in the case of the AF100, it just says CMOS.  :-// Makes me wonder if publishing it would have a negative impact on their sales volume.

It seems that the Sony IMX236 sensor is the way to go ATM vs. the Panasonic or Aptima, but it's still USB 2.0 and no auto-focus. Still, 30fps would be sufficient for video over it's USB port or SD card. The best price I'm seeing for this particular camera is ~$325 shipped on AliExpress (RisingTech 1080P Sony Sensor).

Better yet, get a PCIe x1 HDMI 1080P capture card to record 60fps video (i.e. Elgato HD60 Pro, which goes for ~$186).

Combined, the pair come to ~$511 shipped, which is only ~$50 more than the AF100. Better frame rate recording at the cost of auto-focus and better image quality. Worth it IMHO.  :box:

Edit: Fixed sensor P/N.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 12:25:02 pm by nanofrog »

Offline agehall

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2017, 05:52:49 am »
You mean Sony IMX236, right? Anyhow, that camera from Rising Tech is what I'm leaning towards. I have extra HDMI-capture cards laying around on the bench, so they would work really well for me I guess.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2017, 12:26:11 pm »
You mean Sony IMX236, right? Anyhow, that camera from Rising Tech is what I'm leaning towards. I have extra HDMI-capture cards laying around on the bench, so they would work really well for me I guess.
Oops.  :-[ Thanks for spotting that; it's fixed now.  :-/O

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2018, 04:06:16 pm »

Offline xxx2fan

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2018, 11:11:21 pm »
I got this microscope PC  USB  and project it on a 32 inch tv, so far I'm very happy with it. took about 3 weeks to come and setup was easy.  Had it about a vear now. I did motify the stand to give more height when working on projects that are higher on bench so I can get good pics like when working on scope etc. which is higher on my bench  Link below

https://www.diyinhk.com/shop/usb-microscope-1080p-for-smt-soldering/48-1080p-smt-microscope.html

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf