Author Topic: MSO7014B bad encoder  (Read 1241 times)

Offline Justincase1979Topic starter

• Contributor
MSO7014B bad encoder
« on: April 17, 2019, 05:13:00 pm »
Hi everyone

I just purchased an Agilent MSO7014B, and for the most part it works great. But there is an issue with the knobs for the trigger level as well as the Measure knob. When turning the knobs slowly they work ok, but if I turn them quickly they hardly respond at all, so I figured the encoders are the problem.

Do anyone know if it is possible/easy to clean these, like the ones in for example the E3646A power supply?
If not, do anyone know of a suitable replacement encoder? I checked and it does not seem like the encoders are available from Keysight!?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
Re: MSO7014B bad encoder
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 11:45:12 pm »
I don't have that exact piece of equipment, but in the past I have seen rotary encoders respond positively to a small dose of Deoxit.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 05:45:18 am »
Open it up and see if the encoders are similar. If they're held together with tabs like the HP power supplies, function generators, etc., then give one a try. Also, it's helpful to post some pics once you've gotten inside.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Justincase1979Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 07:42:53 pm »
Open it up and see if the encoders are similar. If they're held together with tabs like the HP power supplies, function generators, etc., then give one a try. Also, it's helpful to post some pics once you've gotten inside.
Will do, was just hoping someone else had already been there. At least the picture of the encoders in the service manual show them with the same tabs as found on other HP/agilent equipment, so there is some hope this will be a quick fix.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 09:44:15 pm »
Sounds like a high probability it's going to be an easy clean up. I've done a bunch of them, but not on a scope (yet).
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf