Author Topic: Need help identifying/finding a connector (Tek 2232 repair)  (Read 1410 times)

Offline VinceTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Hi all,

Just a quick one. I need to replace a damaged connector to finish up the repair of my old Tektronix 2232 scope. i searched Farnell and Mouser but I miserably fail at finding something that looks even similar to it (I am not even being fussy). The parts list doesn't give an OEM part number because Tek supply(ied) this only as part of a cable sub-assembly, made in house, they don't supply the connector alone. Still, they give some basic details about it, which match what I measured on my broken part.

A few pics below to help.

The connector supplies all the power rails to the digital board of the scope. For now I soldered all the wires straight on to the pins of the connector, on the bottom side of the board, scope now works fine, but if at all possible I would of course like to make a "cleaner" repair by replacing this connector... if I can find one that is ! :-//

- through hole
- press fit type
- 1 row of 8 contacts
- made by 3M (but I guess other manufacturers make similar products...)
- designed for a wire gauge of 18
- the holes in the connector allow for wires of maximum outside diameter of 2.0mm, which I guess is consistent with that 18 AWG figure.
- dimensions are : length 31,5mm, width 9mm and thickness/height is 10,5mm.
- pitch in the parts list is noted as 0.156, I assume the implied unit is imperial inch, which would make for 3,96mm (consistent with what I could measure with calipers) which appears to be a standard size.

So if anyone out there is familiar with this type of connector, knows how they are called/referred to by Farnell/Mouser/Digikey/Whatever, or where I could find some. I am In France so a European supplier would be ideal... to avoid import related fees and prohibitive shipping. Typically here we have Farnell and... Farnell and ... Farnell.  So much less choice that Mouser or Digikey in the US. Obviously if it's available somewhere on Ebay direct from China then shipping is usually dirt cheap so that would work too.

Thank you so much in advance !  :)

« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 01:28:29 am by Vince »

• Super Contributor
Re: Need help identifying/finding a connector (Tek 2232 repair)
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 01:36:06 am »
Yeah something like that, expect this one has two rows not one, and the pitch is incorrect, it uses the usual 0.100" not 0.156.
Had a look at their site and it seems they don't do any 0.156" pitch connectors at all anymore !  :(

But at least it confirmed that this type of connector is referred to as "wire to board" , that will help me in narrowing down my search, better than nothing...

• Super Contributor
Re: Need help identifying/finding a connector (Tek 2232 repair)
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 11:50:57 am »
That looks even less like it ?! ...

They don't seem to supply the top part to one can press the wires into the thing. Alos the profile looks much taller, it needs to be low profile to clear the cover of the scope when you slide it back on. They also don't say anything about pitch.

OK so looks like what I thought was a bog standard item is in fact something that's not made anymore these days ?!   :wtf:

I give up...    :(
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 12:05:05 pm by Vince »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf