Author Topic: Need help identifying this diode  (Read 13070 times)

Offline cryptlabsTopic starter

• Contributor
Need help identifying this diode
« on: October 31, 2015, 06:08:15 pm »
Hello,

I'm trying to fix my cb radio,  I' need to find a replacement for this diode but I'm not sure,  please help identify the replacement.
The diode is D9.

Regards

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
Re: Need help identifying this diode
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 06:11:39 pm »
I wish I had seen more of the curcuit but it looks like a garden verity diode used for reverse polarity protection.
Just a silicon diode that is rated high enough current to blow the fuse and survive.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 06:16:36 pm »
D9 you could use a 1N5404 as a replacement. Beefy diode and cheap, and will not blow open before the fuse.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 06:20:15 pm »
I agree with AF6LJ that it looks like an ordinary reverse-polarity protection diode. Under normal conditions, it is "out of the circuit".
We have to assume that the current is flowing from right to left if the diode is intended to blow the fuse in case of reverse-polarity.

It is not clear why you want to replace it?  Is it shorted?  Is it open?  How did you determine it needs replacing? How did you test it?

Any diode rated for at least 2A and 16V would work there. For example...
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/1n5822/schottky-rectifier-3a-40v/1.html

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 06:28:16 pm »
Thank you all for the great support.  I'm trying to trace why my cb is not working and i found that this was cracked open,  I tried to remove it and it broke.

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 06:31:41 pm »
I'm trying to trace why my cb is not working and i found that this was cracked open,  I tried to remove it and it broke.

I hate to bring bad news but this diode is only there to blow the fuse when you connect the power reversed, it will normally not prevent the radio from functioning.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 06:35:13 pm »
I'm trying to trace why my cb is not working and i found that this was cracked open,  I tried to remove it and it broke.

I hate to bring bad news but this diode is only there to blow the fuse when you connect the power reversed, it will normally not prevent the radio from functioning.
Its working without it,  but while tracing the issue i found that this was cracked. There was a trace that was cut and burned that i fixed and it works now, but my signal meter is not working. I'm trying to replace the bad parts.

Sent from my SM-N915F using Tapatalk

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 06:36:08 pm »
If you want something closer,
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/10A01-T/10A01CT-ND/1922678
is probably much closer to the original than even necessary.

Looks like input reverse protection?  If you want something way more fancy than deserved, you can put a TVS in there too (overvoltage protection).  They make 'em in the same size and similar (forward) rating, but not nearly a similar price. :o http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/30KPA30A/30KPA30ACT-ND/2699740

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 06:36:40 pm »
Can i use one of these diodes?  I tried to find the same part but its hard to find because my radio is old.

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 06:38:10 pm »
6A01 is very similar.

If the original cracked, it's likely a smaller one will only crack faster, under the same stress.  Make sure it's fused, so when the diode is doing its reverse-protection duty, it's able to burn a fuse rather than the diode.

Tim

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 06:44:38 pm »
6A01 is very similar.

If the original cracked, it's likely a smaller one will only crack faster, under the same stress.  Make sure it's fused, so when the diode is doing its reverse-protection duty, it's able to burn a fuse rather than the diode.

Tim
It wasn't because of stress,  a friend of mine connected the radio in the wrong way or something back then and the radio was damaged.  I'm trying to bring it back to life.

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2015, 06:46:18 pm »
I have many other diodes also,  whats the best replacement for this?  I want it to be the same as it was.

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2015, 06:48:58 pm »
I wish I had seen more of the curcuit but it looks like a garden verity diode used for reverse polarity protection.
Just a silicon diode that is rated high enough current to blow the fuse and survive.
I have uploaded the full circuit.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 06:51:04 pm »

I saw that;
What parts are not working right now??
Sue AF6LJ

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 06:54:22 pm »

I saw that;
What parts are not working right now??
The signal meter LED's,  in the service manual it says that i have to check this.

How can i check if its dead,  should i just check for voltage output?

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2015, 07:12:54 pm »
It wasn't because of stress,  a friend of mine connected the radio in the wrong way or something back then and the radio was damaged. 
That is the very DEFINITION of "stress" in electronic terms.  It was connected with reverse-polarity power. If a proper-sized fuse was installed, the diode should have blown the fuse and protected the rest of the circuit.  But apparently something went wrong. Somebody put in a fuse with a higher rating and/or the diode failed under load.

Are you implying that everything else works OK?  It transmits OK, and receives OK, and changes channel, etc. etc.?
It seems unusual that only the signal-strength meter circuit would have been damaged.

If that TL489C chip is blown, you may have a hard time finding a replacement in single quantities.
You may have to replace it with an LM3914 or AN6884, etc.

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2015, 07:17:17 pm »
It wasn't because of stress,  a friend of mine connected the radio in the wrong way or something back then and the radio was damaged. 
That is the very DEFINITION of "stress" in electronic terms.  It was connected with reverse-polarity power. If a proper-sized fuse was installed, the diode should have blown the fuse and protected the rest of the circuit.  But apparently something went wrong. Somebody put in a fuse with a higher rating and/or the diode failed under load.

Are you implying that everything else works OK?  It transmits OK, and receives OK, and changes channel, etc. etc.?
It seems unusual that only the signal-strength meter circuit would have been damaged.

If that TL489C chip is blown, you may have a hard time finding a replacement in single quantities.
Thanks for explaining, you guys are great [emoji4],  Electronics is my hobby. I can get the same IC.  The radio transmits and receives ok.  Its the s meter that doesn't work and there's one led that lights up and is dim.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2015, 07:18:19 pm »

This.....
Sue AF6LJ

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2015, 07:19:30 pm »

This.....
?

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2015, 08:55:05 pm »
Make sure the chip has its supply voltage, if it does and there is no meter output check the chip's input for a signal. For signal strength it will rely on the AGC voltage since that is proportional to the incoming signal.

If the chip doesn't have its supply voltage look for why it is not there.
Sue AF6LJ

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2015, 11:35:05 pm »
Make sure the chip has its supply voltage, if it does and there is no meter output check the chip's input for a signal. For signal strength it will rely on the AGC voltage since that is proportional to the incoming signal.

Ok,  ill try that. 
Why the radio works even after i have removed the diode?

Offline karoru

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2015, 11:45:33 pm »
It works because only purpose of that diode is to create a path for a current to flow before fuse breaks when you connect the voltage backwards. It doesn't play any role with correct polarity on voltage supply. Only difference you could see without that diode is that now when you'll connect your power supply backwards, the rest of the circuit will act as an awesome silicon circuit breaker and fry a bit (with maybe some of magic smoke escaping, but not often) before your good old piece of wire encapsulated in glass&sand starts to work.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2015, 11:51:58 pm »

Under normal conditions, it is "out of the circuit".

HOWEVER, with no diode there, next time you connect reverse-polarity to the gadget, you will completely fry it and turn it into a doorstop.
The purpose of the diode is to take all the reverse current directly to ground in order to BLOW the fuse and protect the rest of the circuit.

Offline karoru

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2015, 11:54:45 pm »
HOWEVER, with no diode there, next time you connect reverse-polarity to the gadget, you will completely fry it and turn it into a doorstop.
I've also used the frying metaphore, I wonder why the cooking technique used to explain that is so specific. Why aren't electronic gadgets roasted, or to use another word, braised? We're stuck on unhealthy terminology;p

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2015, 11:58:31 pm »

Ok,  ill try that. 

The diode only conducts when the radio is hooked up backward.
That diode is suppose to conduct only when the radio is hooked up[wrong, it conducts and the fuse blows protecting the rest of the radio.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2015, 12:11:29 am »
This is one of a few techniques used to attempt to idiot proof the power connection.  Others include using a bridge rectifier across the inputs so that it works with power connected either way, and putting the diode in series with the fuze.  These two approaches add a diode drop to the power connection, so batteries don't work as long.  Engineers learned long ago that polarized plugs and other methods of keeping the power right side up are more easily overcome than most would expect, so protection of some form is often included.  As AFJ6LJ mentioned the method used in this radio is susceptable to over-fusing.  (What? The fuze blew?  Well I'll just put a bigger one in so I can get power up long enough to see what is wrong.  Happens all the time.  Even to people who should know better).  Fortunately the diode often fails shorted which at least protects the rest of the radio.

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2015, 05:06:12 am »
6A01 is very similar.

Tim
It wasn't because of stress,  a friend of mine connected the radio in the wrong way or something back then and the radio was damaged.  I'm trying to bring it back to life.

Well, thermal stress I mean ;)

Tim

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2015, 12:38:58 pm »

The chip has 13.8 voltage on vcc,  the input has 0.0104 when idle and when i key up it goes to 0.384 approximately.
6A01 is very similar.

Tim

Well, thermal stress I mean ;)

Tim

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2015, 12:41:27 pm »
What is the name of the diode in the schematics? I want to check the data sheet.  Is this the same :
http://www.digchip.com/datasheets/parts/datasheet/922/10E1.php

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2015, 12:57:58 pm »
Yes, that looks like it is probably the data sheet for the original diode.

But we must ask why that is important? 

That particular diode was selected for its electrical ratings (voltage and current) but mostly because it was CHEAP.  It can be replaced with ANY diode of sufficient voltage and current ratings.  And using a diode of greater current rating wouldn't be a bad idea considering past history.

And be SURE to use only the rated current for the fuse.  Using a fuse of greater current rating will put the gadget at risk all over again.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2015, 01:06:50 pm »
The chip has 13.8 voltage on vcc,  the input has 0.0104 when idle and when i key up it goes to 0.384 approximately.
Assuming you are talking about IC5 (TL489C).

Can you affect the display by turning the adjustment VR4?  If you turn anything BE SURE to mark carefully where it started so that you can restore it to its original setting.  But you should be able to run the display up and down (to some extent) by changing VR4.

If you can't make the display change, then IC5 is probably "blown".  Be grateful that so much more of the radio still functions.

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2015, 01:09:40 pm »
Yes, that looks like it is probably the data sheet for the original diode.

But we must ask why that is important? 

That particular diode was selected for its electrical ratings (voltage and current) but mostly because it was CHEAP.  It can be replaced with ANY diode of sufficient voltage and current ratings.  And using a diode of greater current rating wouldn't be a bad idea considering past history.

And be SURE to use only the rated current for the fuse.  Using a fuse of greater current rating will put the gadget at risk all over again.
OK thanks for clearing this.  So which diode should i use from the photo i uploaded should i use the 6A01?

And can you help me with the signal meter issue?

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2015, 01:14:45 pm »
So which diode should i use from the photo i uploaded should i use the 6A01?

Yes, as @T3sl4co1l said...
6A01 is very similar.

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2015, 01:30:17 pm »
So which diode should i use from the photo i uploaded should i use the 6A01?

Yes, as @T3sl4co1l said...
6A01 is very similar.
I tried to move it but nothing happens.

This is from the manual

LED 4 is always stuck

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2015, 01:36:39 pm »
That would be a very good indication that IC5 (TL489C) has been fried by the reverse-voltage accident.
If you can get a replacement, then that seems like the clear path to restoration.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2015, 01:51:06 pm »
Finding this part may be a challenge
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=TL489C++IC

You might check on E-Bay for this part, often times you can find new old stock parts there...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 01:56:12 pm by AF6LJ »
Sue AF6LJ

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2015, 01:49:14 pm »
That TL489 is fried. There are a few TL489CP on ebay from Asian sellers, but as always, you don't know the history of those parts. They may be new old stock or may be used parts pulled from old boards.

As for that diode, don't worry about an exact replacement, it is a very non-critical application (though a very important one). I'd use a 1N5404 that you have. Make sure the fuse that is installed is the correct type. From the schematic it is a 2A fast acting fuse. Do not use a slow-blow.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf