Author Topic: Need photographic help repairing Voltcraft LPS-1403 lab PSU (Manison OEM)!  (Read 1217 times)

Offline MBYTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I did a stupid thing and blow up one of my lab power supplies. It's a Voltcraft LPS-1403 (from Conrad): http://www.conrad.se/Laboratorieaggregat,-justerbar-VOLTCRAFT-LSP-1403-0-36-V%2fDC-1-x.htm?websale8=conrad-swe&pi=511632&ci=SHOP_AREA_17452_2110330 (Conrads Swedish site)

I know the unit is made by Manison so I expect that others may know the unit under different names and/or model numbers.

My unit got a taste of mains AC on the DC output and several passives on a control board went up in smoke. I reckon it is fixable, if I obtain the values. So here is my suggestion: can anybody who have a unit maybe do some high res photographing or write down the values (of the resistors. I'm doing some guesswork on the SMD caps).

Another user on the forum, hacklordsniper, did a teardown of the unit: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/voltcraft-lsp-1403-teardown/

The board of interest is the smaller PCB mounted in the unit and the component side I'm interested about is facing outwards (visible in hacklordsniper's fifth photo), so the only thing needed is to take the cover of. It's very likely that other parts have been damaged, but the 0805 passives are the only components that cannot be identified (because smoke...).

As said, the board are the smaller one and the interesting side is facing out under the hood on the left side. The components burnt are R4, R5, R6 and C4, C9, C10 and C11.

And the lesson learned: Never test an UPS with a lab PSU instead of battery and have it connected to mains! As if I didn't know that! Sometimes I'm just stupid (and no, the UPS didn't survive and is beyond economical repair).  :palm:

Strange thing, but the switching transistors, the power components, etc, seems fine and measures ok. Only the passives on the control board are damaged to the eye.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf