Author Topic: Old HP 1222A Oscilloscope Repair - Need Help!  (Read 9312 times)

Offline Philipp F.Topic starter

• Contributor
  • Software Engineer doing ee for fun.
Old HP 1222A Oscilloscope Repair - Need Help!
« on: April 29, 2014, 07:59:56 pm »
Hey EEVBlog Forum,

I am a student and electronics hobbyist, i have the most basic knowledge in electronics, but for this I might need some help from you.
A while ago my old HP 1222A Oscilloscope stopped working, i checked the fuse and it was blown, i didn't have the right fuse so i set it aside for a while but now I am making an attempt to repair it.
Before installing a new fuse i took the case off to see if anything was visibly broken, and indeed there was!

A strange looking cap right next to the transformer and the voltage selector spew out all its guts.
In addition to the faulty cap, i messed up when trying to unsolder this thing, i pulled out a contact from the voltage selector switch that was solderd to the cap and a couple of other wires.  :palm:
I am sure I can just bodge repair that on the backside, but i am unsure where to place the jumper.
I attached pictures of everything, also one thing i noticed, it has settings for 100, 120, 220 and 240 volts.
I live in Germany where we have a voltage of 230V, when i got it it was set to 220V i hope this is still in range (maybe that's why the cap blew?).

I hope you can help me place that jumper and finding a replacement cap, i googled the number on it but these kind of caps are unknown to me.  :-//
Also, can I ignore the possibility that something different might be broken or caused the fault and just install a new cap? My best guess is that it's just the age that made it faulty.

Offline krivx

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Old HP 1222A Oscilloscope Repair - Need Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 08:06:36 pm »
Do you have a schematic? If you can't replace the voltage switch you could just remove it and hard-wire the scope for 230V use.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 08:16:28 pm »
I did find one online.
http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/01222-90908.pdf
I tried searching for the part but i got lost in all the documentation.

Ok, i found it in the part list, its A4C1, yet this doesnt help me very much.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 08:30:13 pm by Philipp F. »

Offline JOERGG

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 09:03:53 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum
Google "Entstörkondensator" find the values you need 0,2uF and 2 x 2500 pF
Do not spend 15,- € on the part at Ebay. If you can not find the exact thing then i probably just would give this one a try:

http://www.pollin.de/shop/dt/MjMyOTk3OTk-/Bauelemente_Bauteile/Passive_Bauelemente/Kondensatoren/Entstoerkondensator_ERO_F1740_347_3512.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=pla&utm_content=200767&gclid=CN7D69bKhr4CFWjpwgodjb0A9w

« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 09:05:36 pm by JOERGG »
If i write funny things, because english is not my native language, feel free to laugh. It is not always easy to find the right expression.

Offline Bob F.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 06:45:21 pm »
Over a year now since the OP, but I had the same issue today.  Nothing from the scope, a dead fuse and the same capacitor had leaked all over the board - looks like it may be a thing... So, for reference should anyone else have this happen in future:

Looking through the user/service manual I noticed that cap was drawn on the schematic by hand.  Looking in the Manual Changes section of the manual, it seems  earlier serial numbers of the scope did not have that capacitor so I have simply removed it.  The scope has been working happily all day now.

Does anyone know what the purpose of this dual capacitor (A4C1 on the attached diagram) across the primary of the mains transformer? 

Cheers, Bob.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 07:57:46 pm »
Welcome to the forum

It's a mains suppression cap pair.

Google x y cap.

Many just continue use without them, it won't affect performance, just your scope won't be at all protected from in-coming nasties from the mains supply.
If you can't find a similar 3 lead cap, just bodge the correct values together, insulate well and attempt to keep leads as short as possible.
You might have parts available from your junk pile  ;) all modern eguipment should have x-y caps.
Ensure the meet voltage spec.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 01:44:46 pm »
Hey, i replaced it with the Cap JOERGG suggested, sorry for not posting this but it took me some time and i completely forgot it  :-\

I also replaced the broken fuse and it worked fine and still acts as my main oscilloscope
At the moment I'm looking to upgrade to a Rigol DS1054Z as I'm planing to become an electronic engineer

Offline Bob F.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 10:52:16 pm »
Thanks tautech.

I did try searching but without much success (other than this thread!) - now I know the name of the type of cap, google becomes a font of knowledge!  :)

I'm coming back to hardware after many years elsewhere so my junk parts box needs extensive development ( ;)) so I'll either search out the cap or do as you suggest and hack it out of two caps.  I've ordered a Rigol for delivery next month (they seem to be constantly out of stock in the UK) - it's been so long since I did any serious hardware, I have never used a digital scope before so it should be a fun week, or several...

Cheers, Bob.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf