Author Topic: Olympus Pen Lite EPL6 LCD Repair Help  (Read 5408 times)

Offline cgregs32Topic starter

Olympus Pen Lite EPL6 LCD Repair Help
« on: October 17, 2016, 02:05:02 pm »
Alright.. So I cracked the screen on my Olympus Pen Lite.  I figured I could easily buy a LCD online and unscrew a few little screws put the new screen in and have it be back to normal.  Not that easy. I am an electronics newb for sure, I just like to do repairs myself to save money.

So, Luckily I do not have to pull the camera completely apart to get to the LCD.  It folds out and away from the main body of the camera.  I ran into trouble when I started unscrewing the screws and found that the backing plate is glued in place.  I did not want to try to force this out because I figured that would not be a good Idea.

Like I said I have never attempted any small electronics fixes before and I dont know the terminology.  But I am adamant on repairing my camera.  Im asking for help, Is this a difficult job to do? Am I in over my head?  How do I get past this mysterious adhesive? I am slightly invested as I have already bought the LCD screen.  Hoping to get some wisdom from someone who has replaced an LCD before or has dealt with electronics adhesives.  Any responses welcome and I really appreciate your help.  Thank you guys!!

Offline Blastcap

• Regular Contributor
Re: Olympus Pen Lite EPL6 LCD Repair Help
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 03:34:52 pm »
This is a guide to get inside the PL-7, but the LCD assembly should be the same/similar.
https://ifixit.com/Guide/Olympus+Pen+E-PL7+LCD+Screen+Replacement/55390/

If you got the tools, the spare parts and the guts, then go nuts.

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 12:24:52 pm »
So, I looked at the camera again after looking at that repair guide.  The EPL6 is a little different.  Instead of sliding out the LCD you have to pop it out of a housing.  The problem I am running into is taking this thin backing plate off.  With the screws removed there is a thin, strong adhesive holding the backing plate on.. it seems.   My assumption is to use a hot air dryer to allow me to take this piece off.   Has anyone had to work with electronics adhesive?  any tips?  I don,t want to damage the unit further.   Thanks for reading, thanks for the help! Im stressed to get this working ASAP.  the leaves are changing!  So, how do I remove the adhesive?

Offline grangelo

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 09:35:13 pm »
Hi, i'm new here, and i face the exact same problem with my epl6.
The screen is damaged and i can't seperate the case from the screen.
I believed that the procedure would be similar with the epl7 but unfortunately is different.
If someone can help it will be really great.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 09:37:22 pm by grangelo »

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 11:52:03 am »
I am going to attempt to use a Hair dryer to heat up the backing plate.  Hopefully this will allow me to remove that back and get to the screen/ other components. Will post back to share how it is going!

The following users thanked this post: uberhaus

Offline grangelo

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 05:19:55 pm »
Are we gonna need something like this in the first photo?
The 7 screws  (pointed with orange arrows) in the second image have been removed,
The corner (green arrow) is now loose but i can't go any farther.
Nothing is moving

Offline grangelo

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 08:58:38 pm »
Well, after so many days i still can't find a way to remove the old screen.
The only thing that has now changed is the size of the crack 😥
I'm currently thinking that the only think i can do is to send it to the authorized service sender. If someone has any thought or idea it will be great.
Thanks!

The following users thanked this post: uberhaus

Offline vehiculeselectriques

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 10:35:57 am »
Hi,

i just repaired mine, there is no screw to hold it only glue all around the screen !
use a plastic smartphone or so repair tool to go arround lifting up under the black screen lip and after some patience it will come.

you will need to detach the circuit board receiving the ribbon cables from old screen.
not seen on the pictures BUT once connected to the new screen for right placement use double sided tape to reinstall it,
same all around the lip of the black screen, it holds just from there so use good tape or neoprene glue.

bonne chance,
Phil
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 10:40:48 am by vehiculeselectriques »

The following users thanked this post: uberhaus, chibeen

Offline uberhaus

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2021, 06:54:56 pm »
I am going to attempt to use a Hair dryer to heat up the backing plate.  Hopefully this will allow me to remove that back and get to the screen/ other components. Will post back to share how it is going!

Were you ever able to complete the repair?  I was going down the hair dryer approach, but getting worried that the plastic outer cover will break.  I paused on the repair for now until I can hear from others who have completed the repair.

Offline chibeen

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2023, 02:28:07 pm »
Hi, it's 2023, i think maybe it's too late to reply. I just got one epl5 and the lcd turned dark after one flip, but the touch function remains, so I belive that the cable is harf broken, and starting to find a tutorial to fix it. sadly, I could not find any informations in detail, and I met the same problem at the exactly same position. so I did some test very carefully, but find out that problem is very easy to be done. I took some pics as followed.
The reason we can't disassembly the back of the lcd is, 2 screws are hidden beneath the rough-black-plastic-like stick paper. and it can be removed easily.
good luck and enjoy your DIY.
[ Specified attachment is not available ]

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf