Author Topic: Need Recommendation for Repair Shop for R&S Signal Generator?  (Read 1543 times)

Offline K1JOSTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Need Recommendation for Repair Shop for R&S Signal Generator?
« on: December 31, 2017, 11:49:12 pm »
Can anyone recommend a good (and reasonable) repair shop in the USA for a 3 GHz signal generator (R&S)?  The problem is either in the final power amplifier or attenuation block

Happy New Year

Jerry

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
Re: Need Recommendation for Repair Shop for R&S Signal Generator?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 07:58:05 am »
An SMIQ generator?  If you're feeling plucky and want to get your hands dirty, the full schematics are available and there's at least a couple threads on here working on the final output board - it is certainly possible to fix on your own.  There are also attenuators available on ebay and the like, since a decent number of them are floating around.

Offline Aleksandar

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 01:48:10 pm »
Hi,
If you buy a service manual, be careful!!!
There are two versions of the output stage.
My SMIQ03B (0.3MHz-3.300MHz) has three transistors in the output stage and it's an older model. The newer model has two transistors.
Of course, the difference is not just that.
The older model has a designation of the scheme 1084.9800.01 SA
New, all digits are the same, but only suffix S.

I'm throwaway money and hoping to have the correct schemes.
And what I bought is barely (scarce) visible! Almost unusable!

So I recommend that you look for a sample of a single sheet in PDF, before payment!
That's my experience

Good luck!

Aleksandar

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 09:14:57 am »

I think my problem is the conenction of signal generator r&s smg and tht gpib.

I have many instruments that I control with GPIB including the signal generator R&S SMG, and I can communicate with the SMG but after a time, MAX NI doesn't recognize it and I can't do anything with it in local mode, It doesn't respond to any button, so to control it, I must turn off the device and then turn on to control it in local mode, but NI MAX doesn't recognize it. But if I wait 5 minutes before turn on the device, MAX recognize it. So I am confuse and I don't know why it happens.

This sound like a thermal issue, maybe some solder joint cracked and when the board is hot, the contact is gone.
Or (this is much worse), a power supply it's out of spec and it heats the whole board and after a while the CPU stops working or crashes, if possible check the power supplies first.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf