Author Topic: Philips combiscope PM 3365A failure  (Read 3546 times)

Offline drashielTopic starter

Philips combiscope PM 3365A failure
« on: July 14, 2015, 06:55:02 pm »
Hi to everyone.

My name is Miguel, amateur on electronics. I bough this scope on ebay six months ago and works fine until today. My knowledge on electronics is not too big (I used scope to measure PWM and other stuff on arduino boards) but understand the basics.
Today during measurements, vertical deflection start to fail. Image on screen was compressed when scope was warm (unplug and wait until scope is cold made start to work again but about 10 minutes turn on, scope start to fail). If I tap the scope, magically repair itself, I think it's a matter of time that the fault is permanent.

I have tried to reseat all connectors on XYZ amplifier (could be an false contact), but still happens. Everything looks fine, there is no blowed components or leaky capacitors. Have got service manual but I do not know where to start.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
Re: Philips combiscope PM 3365A failure
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 07:43:42 pm »
if it comes back when you tap the scope, then it's probably a dry soldier.
open the scope, and try to tap more precisely to see on what card the bad soldier can be
then inspect this card and find the dried soldier and resoldier it

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 09:19:59 pm »
The Tek troubleshooting guide in the first post in this board is good to have.
PSU's should always be checked to meet specs on scope repairs. You can check for ripple on the DC supplies with a DMM set to AC volts.
Often the schematics have DC voltages listed, be aware normally the scope must be set in a specific way for the DC voltages to be relevant. RTFM.
For others watching the manual is here:
http://elektrotanya.com/philips_pm3365a_67a_75_77_oscilloscope_sm.pdf/download.html
103 Mb.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline drashielTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 07:09:18 am »
Thanks tautech and kripton2035 for your inputs.

As said kripton2035, resolder transistors on Y amplifier but not solve problem. Reseat connectors between preamplifier/adaptation unit board and seems to start working fine again.

It is possible bad soldering appears 20 years after? (I thinks this units was build on 1995)

Regards.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 07:34:52 am »
It is possible bad soldering appears 20 years after? (I thinks this units was build on 1995)
The soldering has now been subjected to many thermal cycles since manufacture and it is not unheard of for joints to crack especially those that suffer any mechanical stress.
Interconnects and other headers are worthy of careful inspection.

But just thermal cycling will crack joints, particularly those not fully "tented" at manufacture.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 08:48:22 am »
I just fixed a Philips PM3370B that had a bad power supply. So, I would start with the output rails and make sure all voltages are correct.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 04:43:44 pm »
Sometimes a component will develop a crack, possibly where a lead joins the body.  These can be incredibly frustrating to track down.  You need light, magnification, an insulated rod to tap components with and a lot of patience.

I had a Tek 468 that I was working on that had a crack in a ceramic resistor network that behaved like that.  Took me forever to find it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf