Author Topic: Pioneer SA 506 front cover potentiometer spacer nut replacement? [help]  (Read 2216 times)

Offline ESXiTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Just a hobbyist
Hi there,

So I got my hands on this cool old amp and I'm repairing it, but I found out the aluminium front cover was lose because of a broken nut because the dingo dongo who tossed out the amp literally tossed it.

I am also looking for a suitable potentiometer for the bass filter because it was broken off.
After some searching I found a really nice replacement but I checked the measurement and I think the legs are too short :(

Here's the nut I am talking about for the front cover (including my shitty measurements :-[)

Forgot to mention the inside dimension of the nut, this is 7mm. Actually the same as the ALPS RK16 100KAX2 I found on ebay.

Talking about this one:
Japan ALPS RK16 100KAX2 LOG Stereo Volume Potentiometer Dual 100K Knurled Shaft

Any ideas on how to get hold on a nut for the front case, and what about the potentiometer, is there a better alternative or should I just extend the legs and live with it or wait for NOS to popup on ebay?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 01:48:50 pm by ESXi »
my elcheapo lab:
Hantek DSO5102P, KSGER T12 STM32 V2.1S + safety mods, RD6018W DC variable power supply, Quick 861DW, Quick 201B, Telequipment D1011, Optika ST-50LED (ringlight modded)

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Re: Pioneer SA 506 front cover potentiometer spacer nut replacement? [help]
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 08:47:47 pm »
Never saw this dual stage nut before ?   On all the tunners / amps  i've repaired it looked like the second picture

• Regular Contributor
  • Just a hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 01:25:34 pm »
Never saw this dual stage nut before ?
Seen it many times before, but different ones, and to be mentioned. Not on all amps. Most more modern amps don't use this kind of dual stage nut anymore because the fronts are mode of plastic..

On all the tunners / amps  i've repaired it looked like the second picture
If its this common, do you mind sharing a ebay link or whatever link to a website where I can buy one that is to spec or at least fits on my amp?
Because I can't find it. Thanks mate.
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 01:28:13 pm by ESXi »
my elcheapo lab:
Hantek DSO5102P, KSGER T12 STM32 V2.1S + safety mods, RD6018W DC variable power supply, Quick 861DW, Quick 201B, Telequipment D1011, Optika ST-50LED (ringlight modded)

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 10:35:54 pm »
well if you search "potentiometer nuts"  you'll have some links and images

You have to knows the inside and outside diameters

you have 1/4 shafts
you have 3/8 shafts
Bourns use 9mm shafts nuts in some models ??

or  in metric Ex:
Thread Size: M7, Hex Size: 10mm
Inner diameter 7mm
Outer diameter 10mm

Ebay link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Set-Metal-Nuts-Flat-Washer-for-1-4-Potentiometer-/290572560386
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Set-Metal-Nuts-Flat-Washer-for-1-4-Potentiometer-Pots/300562740640

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 10:43:19 pm by coromonadalix »

• Regular Contributor
  • Just a hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 09:45:44 am »
you have this one    an 3/8 diam sloted nut
http://shop.frontpanels.de/product_info.php?info=p50_special-3-8--potentiometer-nut.html

If you back one page  you find some strange shaft adapters ???

http://shop.frontpanels.de/index.php?cat=c20_potentiometer-shaft-adapters-potentiometer-shaft-adapters.html

None of the nuts do even come close to what I am talking about. Did you even open up my dimensions and schematic picture? I have the lock nuts but not the nut that goes over the potmeter for the front aluminum cover. The nut that goes over that nut has another size (see picture). I really don't know what to search for. My suspicion is that the part is custom made for this amplifier. But I am not sure. Haven't found anything even close while searching google images for a full hour.

Picture:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 10:04:02 am by ESXi »
my elcheapo lab:

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 12:05:03 pm »
Eh  I was just giving some help and suggestions,  theses links are what we found nowadays.

Since you have dual staged special nuts, make new machined ones if Pioneer does'nt have them anymore ???  Or if youre lucky find an donnor ??

In 30 years of electronics, i personally never saw in Canada this nut type. 

Some of your   Pioneer sa506 are on ebay right now, starts at 130$ minus shipping ........   surely you can find a machinist to make a few nuts ?

Good luck.

• Regular Contributor
  • Just a hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 09:10:37 am »
Eh  I was just giving some help and suggestions,  theses links are what we found nowadays.
Eh alright well don't get me wrong. I was a little bit frustrated because I can't find anything close, but thanks a lot for the effort helping me.

Since you have dual staged special nuts, make new machined ones if Pioneer does'nt have them anymore ???  Or if youre lucky find an donnor ??

In 30 years of electronics, i personally never saw in Canada this nut type. 

Some of your   Pioneer sa506 are on ebay right now, starts at 130$ minus shipping ........   surely you can find a machinist to make a few nuts ?

Good luck.
I have seen the amps, But don't want to buy a "new"/doner one for this. It used to be a cheap hobby project but already spend like 60 euro on the amp..
Know a machinist that can CNC a part for me but he told me it's gonna be difficult because it's so small and the screw thread on the outside is going to be difficult to do.
my elcheapo lab:

• Regular Contributor
  • Just a hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 09:59:00 am »
I think I just found a solution for this problem   :phew:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Volume-Aluminum-260mm-potentiometer-extension-shaft-HIFI-DIY-connecting-long-rod/163008546001

I only have to tap a thread on the inside where the hex nut is (bottom).

Expensive for this nut only, but it's worth the try.. The part is not completely spot on(measurement wise) but I will add a spacer disk between it.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 10:02:21 am by ESXi »
my elcheapo lab:

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 10:35:15 am »
Very nice find,  i have bookmarked it and saved the picture(s), you never know  loll

Lucky for you    :-+

The following users thanked this post: ESXi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf