Author Topic: Please help! TANNOY PRECISION 8D dead  (Read 5122 times)

Offline hanimaruTopic starter

Please help! TANNOY PRECISION 8D dead
« on: March 09, 2015, 06:18:07 am »
Suddenly, no sounds.
So I tried to open the amp unit and want check the base.
All the screws of the back panel loosened it.
But I can't open it.
How do I open a unit?

Offline voltz

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Please help! TANNOY PRECISION 8D dead
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 12:30:30 pm »
The back panel will come off, it may be stuck or you missed some screws.
See this image here:
http://fr.audiofanzine.com/enceinte-active/tannoy/Precision-8D/medias/photos/a.play,m.561505.html

Offline hanimaruTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 08:21:27 am »
Dear volts

Thank you for your advice!

I surely confirmed all screws.
And I contacted TANNOY agency in Japan.
He said, back panel (or heat sink) was fixed with silicon adhesive.
Anyway, I want to continue using from now on.
So, I decided to send it agency on repair.
But, unfortunately Precisoin 8D amp unit product end since 2013.
After that I don't know what will happen.
I just waiting for answer from the agency.

Offline voltz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 08:33:08 pm »
Ok good luck with it.

Offline alpharisc

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 11:08:23 am »
I broke both my Tannoy Precision 8D's with a hammer.

Offline jamanjeval

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 02:30:42 am »

Once Tannoy stopped being made in England, the quality went way down. I have sent several 8Ds in for service while they were still around. I have another one where something died on the filter board (diagnosed by swapping boards with the other one that still works)

All of the made in England ones are rock solid.

Offline ed_reardon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 10:07:25 am »

Once Tannoy stopped being made in England, the quality went way down. I have sent several 8Ds in for service while they were still around. I have another one where something died on the filter board (diagnosed by swapping boards with the other one that still works)

All of the made in England ones are rock solid.
Scotland for Tannoy :P

I was raised by a 'Tannerd' (yes, a Tannoy-Nerd, there is such a thing!)

Comparing my early 90's budget speakers (603's) with the modern far-eastern made F1 budget series, and well there is no comparison in sound or quality!

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 10:23:37 am »
I've got a pair of ailing Reveal 6D monitors and there are two common failure modes.

First, the analog/digital switch is pure crap. It failed in both of mine.

Second, the circuit board is covered by some nasty gunk, a poor quality glue that becomes conductive with age and heat. Try to clean it the best you can. In many cases it's possible to resurrect them.

In this forum there's a thread devoted to them, I hope it's not a problem to link to it.

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?s=f847546056f78ffa2f2fd9af7732c33f&t=16644

The following users thanked this post: jamanjeval

Offline jamanjeval

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 11:51:38 pm »

Scotland for Tannoy :P

I was raised by a 'Tannerd' (yes, a Tannoy-Nerd, there is such a thing!)

Comparing my early 90's budget speakers (603's) with the modern far-eastern made F1 budget series, and well there is no comparison in sound or quality!

doh! I didn't know it was Scotland but I did know it was the UK.

Tannoy is now owned by the Music group, a holding company owned by Uli Behringer. They don't have that great of reputation in the music business, but I've found their products to be ok. But, I'd never buy a new Tannoy again.

Offline jamanjeval

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 11:57:56 pm »
I've got a pair of ailing Reveal 6D monitors and there are two common failure modes.

First, the analog/digital switch is pure crap. It failed in both of mine.

Second, the circuit board is covered by some nasty gunk, a poor quality glue that becomes conductive with age and heat. Try to clean it the best you can. In many cases it's possible to resurrect them.

In this forum there's a thread devoted to them, I hope it's not a problem to link to it.

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?s=f847546056f78ffa2f2fd9af7732c33f&t=16644

Thanks for the links! I've removed the gunk. I know it is the filter board because I was able to swap it with another unit. It is acting like the units where people are having problems with the power amps and something is going to one of the rails and the speaker sticks in. Maybe a DC blocking cap, but I suspect it is an opamp.

Offline phil-dlb

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 06:57:41 pm »
Does anybody knows or can tell me wich screws you need to remove to open up the Precision 6D ?
I removed the 6 hexascrews, but no movement ????

thanks for posting some ideas, suggestions, pics

Philippe

Offline jamanjeval

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 03:45:10 pm »
It's probably glue. To keep parts from vibrating, many are glued and then secured with fasteners.

Offline Valden

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 08:13:06 pm »
Re removing the back panel of the Tannoy Reveal 6D or 8D, take out the 6 screws with a 3mm hex driver first, then simply but gently pull, wobble and ease the whole heat sink and metal back panel out of the recessed back board of the speaker cabinet. It's a tight fit but will start to move. Be careful to brace as you pull, to avoid overshooting - the back panel has all of the electronics attached on its inner surface and there are three sets of cables connecting between the boards and the speaker box, for the woofer, tweeter and front switch. The link in a post above to badcaps is useful. Schematics are available there - or PM me for a copy.

Prepare yourself for the ugly sight of the boards being drizzled with vibration management goop, which is a pain to clear away to enable diagnosis or repair. 

I have one of my 6Ds in surgery at the moment, trying to hunt down an intermittent fault, which I think could be the thermoswitch or some component in that loop. Might seek help from the experts here soon.

These nice sounding monitors are easily repairable. It's usually something insignificant that's stopped working. A blown track or capacitor. Be encouraged and get into it. Make it work again!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 11:50:43 pm by Valden »

Offline Valden

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 11:55:48 pm »
Hi Jaman. Did you manage to fix the filter board on your Tannoy 6D? A similar fault with mine turned out to be exactly what you suspected - a DC blocking cap for one of the OpAmps. Cap 21 from memory - one of the surface mount caps. I replaced it with a ceramic cap and it's back in business.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf