Author Topic: Portable Tektronix 214 - Battery Repair  (Read 2487 times)

Offline CarsonReidDavisTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Portable Tektronix 214 - Battery Repair
« on: June 13, 2018, 09:08:59 pm »
I'm in the process of repairing a portable Tektronix 214. I disassembled the scope and removed the batteries. Then I powered it directly with a two 6 volt sources and it seems to work, although there might be some connection problems while disassembled.

So I set about getting replacement batteries for the scope. It originally took two Ax5 NiCd packs, but I settled for AA for cost reasons. I had a local shop weld the NiCds because I have been told that soldering directly to NiCds is inadvisable because of reliability problems that can be introduced if the nylon seal is over-heated.

I didn't realize until I got the new packs home, but the technician did not weld to a hanging solder tab. Instead he cut a tiny solder tab that just covers the head of the battery and soldered directly to the top. I fail to see how this is thermally distinct from soldering directly to the battery.

I have included detailed pictures of the scope, the original packs, the new packs, and some diagrams I drew at this link: https://imgur.com/a/1sSIH3a.

Do I need to have these packs remade? I do not plan on opening this unit again after the repair, so I will have no way to monitor corrosion or other problems.

Offline KeepItSimpleStupid

• Regular Contributor
Re: Portable Tektronix 214 - Battery Repair
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 07:54:53 am »
FWIW: {Packs for the 212 which should fit the 214.  https://www.osibatteries.com/search.aspx?searchterm=tektronix+212

I got mine there. there.  At a place of work, I had the 212.  There was an engineering change for the charging circuit.

That scope will not work at all without batteries.

I've heard that some people are successful soldering the tabs.  Some vents are located there too.

The following users thanked this post: CarsonReidDavis

Offline tecman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 03:46:12 pm »
I can't remember the mAh rating on the original Tek batteries, but a while ago I had to replace them in my 214.  I soldered up 2000 mAh AA cells as replacements.  Works fine.  I believe that they are actually a higher capacity than the Tek originals.

paul

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 05:25:53 pm »
Do I need to have these packs remade? I do not plan on opening this unit again after the repair, so I will have no way to monitor corrosion or other problems.

The photo is a little too murky to answer the question.  If there's even a small amount of tab sticking out from the cell, that would have been OK to solder.  Or maybe they soldered the wire to the tab before welding it to the cell.  On the other hand, looks like poor soldering.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 07:28:35 pm »
Soldering can melt or damage the battery's seals. If you use flux, sand it a bit and are lightning fast, I have had no problems.

For your custom pack, it looks like off-the-shelf batteries with welded tabs were used, and then soldered by a gorilla.
That huge blob on the end takes a lot of heat, enough to melt plastic seals and vents. I would get a refund.

Modern NiMh is superior in that you get 2-3x capacity for the same physical size.

I would use Eneloop Pro AA NiMh 2,550mAh cells and bump up the charge voltage as I find NiMh doesn't just drop in as a replacement. It seems to need higher voltage to top off a charge like 1.55Vpc
There would be room for battery holders, or get a battery pack made by a shop that can do proper spot-welded tabs, or take a MOT and make a welder.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 07:40:11 pm »
Modern NiMh is superior in that you get 2-3x capacity for the same physical size.

But greatly inferior if the scope is only designed to charge NiCds (high trickle current).

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 08:04:40 pm »
NiMh rated 0.033-0.05C trickle current
NiCd rated 0.02-0.05C trickle current

Looking at the charging circuit, a mains capacitive-dropper with unlimited voltage, so no battery is going to have a happy life in this scope.
I'd probably add a simple TL431 shunt regulator to limit the pack voltage. Tek seemed to go with min. component count to keep things small.

edit: In low mode, 120VAC+3.3uF gives about 100mA average charging current.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 08:37:36 pm by floobydust »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 02:19:25 am »
FWIW: {Packs for the 212 which should fit the 214.  https://www.osibatteries.com/search.aspx?searchterm=tektronix+212

I got mine there. there.  At a place of work, I had the 212.  There was an engineering change for the charging circuit.

That scope will not work at all without batteries.

I've heard that some people are successful soldering the tabs.  Some vents are located there too.

Do those packs include the little 3A fuses?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 02:21:29 am »

The photo is a little too murky to answer the question.  If there's even a small amount of tab sticking out from the cell, that would have been OK to solder.  Or maybe they soldered the wire to the tab before welding it to the cell.  On the other hand, looks like poor soldering.

Unfortunately, there is absolutely zero tab sticking out from the cell.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 02:31:35 am »
NiMh rated 0.033-0.05C trickle current
NiCd rated 0.02-0.05C trickle current

Looking at the charging circuit, a mains capacitive-dropper with unlimited voltage, so no battery is going to have a happy life in this scope.
I'd probably add a simple TL431 shunt regulator to limit the pack voltage. Tek seemed to go with min. component count to keep things small.

edit: In low mode, 120VAC+3.3uF gives about 100mA average charging current.

Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty new to the hobby; how exactly would I wire it and what would the effect on the circuit be?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf