Author Topic: Questions about micro switches such as the SZM-V16-FC-62  (Read 3952 times)

Offline kaptain_zeroTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Questions about micro switches such as the SZM-V16-FC-62
« on: January 19, 2018, 06:05:15 am »
Our 5 year old over the range microwave oven/ventilation fan is acting up. I have traced it back to the micro switches in the door latches.

There are three switches, one is normally open, one is normally closed and the third switches between 2 of the 3 contacts with the third being common.

A quick check at the usual appliance parts store shows that one switch is $4 but the other two are around $40 each!  Needless to say, I'm looking for options as those prices are a bit rich.  I am having some difficulty finding the exact switches and I have come across some that are marked FA-xx and FD-xx and I was wondering just what that indicates? All three switches are held in place on plastic prongs and a couple of springy plastic hooks, so the through holes and the activation button orientation is important.

The current switches are marked:
SZM-V16-FC-61
SZM-V16-FC-62
SZM-V16-FC-63

Regards
Christian

Offline Bashstreet

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Questions about micro switches such as the SZM-V16-FC-62
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 12:08:29 pm »
To me all the switches appear the same in your microwave a standard micro-switch.
I do not understand why some of them are supposed to cost 40 dollars..  :-//

If you can easily remove or picture them in the appliance do so we can then have a look and identity them correctly.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 12:28:28 pm by Bashstreet »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 10:49:27 pm »
Quote from: Bashstreet on Today at 01:08:29 AM
To me all the switches appear the same in your microwave a standard micro-switch.
I do not understand why some of them are supposed to cost 40 dollars..  :-//

If you can easily remove or picture them in the appliance do so we can then have a look and identity them correctly.

Cheers.

I managed to snap a couple of photos before I put it back together, the bottom latch switch should be the same as the 2 pole switch shown except NO instead of NC.  As the microwave is working fine now, I'm starting to suspect it was the spade connections that were poor. One of the spade on each switch was dark as if it was silver coated and oxidized. I used some very fine lapping film and removed the dark oxide layer, used some contact cleaner and put it all back together and it works fine. However, I'm thinking a spare set of switches in the drawer might save me from going down to the parts store and handing over $40 for a $4 switch!

The 3 pole switch is the $4 unit, the 2 pole is around $40.

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 03:14:23 am »
Just buy one or two of the $4 SPDT ones for spares.

You can use that type in place of the SPST one, just leave the extra NC contact disconnected. 

The SPDT will also work as a replacement in the case of an NC version, if you ever need one, just leave the NO contact disconnected instead...

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 05:01:06 am »
DOH! Why didn't I think of that?!?!?!
Yes, it would be dead easy, there's plenty of room for the wires and I could always slip some heat shrink over the one spade that shouldn't be used.....
Some days I over think things......<groan>
Thanks a bunch!

Regards
Christian

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf