Author Topic: Question - Reballing Is Not Repair?  (Read 24428 times)

Ridah

Question - Reballing Is Not Repair?
« on: January 27, 2016, 08:49:10 pm »
Sorry if this is the improper section for this topic.

I have had a YLOD PS3 sitting in my room for years now awaiting the day I finally either toss it into the bin or do something else with it so I started looking into finding someone who can repair it since I have zero experience in this sort of thing.

Basically the issue seems to be that either the CPU/GPU or some BGA chip has failed or is not working properly and the widely accessible repair is either reball or reflow said chip. I came upon this video where a guy basically says BGA reballing is most of the time a scam and that when it works its usually due the thermal expansion of the chips internals setting up in a way that allows it to operate.

I have heard alot of stupid stuff from what I think is this guys archetype in the firearms hobby. Stuff like "Shake your ammo to keep the powder from caking in on area" stuff that sounds good in theory to an untrained ear but isn't a real thing in reality. What I would really like is to have citations and sources this guy neglected to post, possibly input from someone who knows real engineering info about this stuff.

So is BGA reballing the same chip repair or a tactic of a hucktser?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 08:50:57 pm by Ridah »

Online wraper

• Supporter
Re: Question - Reballing Is Not Repair?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 09:02:56 pm »
Reballing sometimes can be a true repair, actually I have one LCD TV board which I need to fix where defect is truly because of the soldering fail. But in most cases it's a heating which temporarily revives the chip. And vast majority of reballing guys are scumbags.

Ridah

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 09:09:26 pm »
Reballing sometimes can be a true repair, actually I have one LCD TV board which I need to fix where defect is truly because of the soldering fail. But in most cases it's a heating which temporarily revives the chip. And vast majority of reballing guys are scumbags.

Just applying pressure on the chip is the test for that right?

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 09:23:47 pm »

I wonder how you want to apply pressure on a chip with 300+ balls like that and keep it steady hoping that it will work while you test it. Unless that particular failure mode is a typical thing for that device (like some early XBoxes having thermal issues), I would expect the problem to be rather something else and the reflow/reballing being unlikely to fix anything.

I think what he referred to in one of his videos where he was fixing a laptop that some idiot had tried to "repair" by using a heatgun on the GPU is that most people offering these reballing/reflowing repairs have no idea about what they are doing and why, they just take a heatgun to it as the first thing. In the case of that laptop there were actually some blown parts (voltage regulator, I think) on the mainboard and the GPU that the original "repairman" was reflowing was completely fine ...

That guy knows what he is doing and talking about, just look at his other troubleshooting videos.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 09:30:15 pm »

Sometimes, if the board reacts to bending, than it is a high possibility.
In this particular case I removed that bga chip and there certainly was soldering failure because a few pads on the corners are without any solder and are oxidized. I just don't have the solder balls of the right size to reball and solder it back. These particular boards are dying like hell because the pcb is wobbling crap. It will be a real PITA to actually solder it back because this pcb significantly deforms when heated. I wish I had an IR station with bigger preheater which would significantly reduce this deformation.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 09:34:50 pm »
That guy knows what he is doing and talking about, just look at his other troubleshooting videos.

Possibly yes, some of the time. But he sure likes the sound of his own voice. I think I'll leave it there.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 09:38:36 pm »
Unless that particular failure mode is a typical thing for that device (like some early XBoxes having thermal issues)
"Some"  :-DD, actually not some but all of them and a hell a lot of them died, some peope gone through multiple of them because every of them failed. And they died not because of the solder ball but chip fail. And all that xbox reballing was/is a big scam.

Ridah

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 10:13:59 pm »
I guess I'll just cut up the console and sell the parts since I can't do anything else with them.

This shit generation is why I'm never going to own another console even as a gift. Fuck proprietary bullshit hardware.

Offline Robomeds

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 04:03:22 am »
I successfully reballed a part on an Intel based laptop MB.  The catch is it was totally guess and check and who knows how long the repair will last.  Basically if your options are dump it or try it yourself and dump it if it fails, give it a shot.  I wouldn't spend money on it since it might only last a short time.  Certainly if you try it do what ever you can to improve heat sinking from the chip since it was likely high running temps that caused the issue in the first place. 

Offline cpuerror

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 01:58:59 pm »
Keep the power supply. Depending on the version it is 12v 35a iirc on the early model. Maybe the hd too. The rest of it is unrepairable junk.

Offline SaabFAN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 05:13:52 pm »
From my experience, Reflow-Repairs of chips that tend to get not too hot is possible and if the device has been built around 2010 or after often becomes a reliable repair.
Chips that get really hot (GPUs, PS3/Xbox Chips) aren't so easy to repair or unfixable at all.
The older Xbox 360 is an extreme case in this matter: Attempting to reflow the GPU or the CPU results in desoldering half the chip because the heatsinks put so much pressure on the board that it bends significantly! There's even an aftermarket kit available to compensate for that.

In case of the PS3 a repair-attempt is mostly only sufficient to backup savegames and other user-data for transfer to a working system. Playing games with a repaired console almost always leads to a failing system again.
If you don't put too much value in your savegames, I recommend replacing the broken one with a new one and sell the old one for spare parts. Otherwise you could attempt a reflow in your oven set to 240°C to gain access to your data.

Ridah

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 06:18:32 pm »
I have included some pictures of the metal housing the board sits inside. Note the perfect outlines of components from heat staining on the metal.
http://imgur.com/a/jmkOO

Keep the power supply. Depending on the version it is 12v 35a iirc on the early model. Maybe the hd too. The rest of it is unrepairable junk.

Anything usefull I could do with it?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 06:23:46 pm by Ridah »

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 07:04:55 pm »
Sorry if this is the improper section for this topic.

I have had a YLOD PS3 sitting in my room for years now awaiting the day I finally either toss it into the bin or do something else with it so I started looking into finding someone who can repair it since I have zero experience in this sort of thing.

Basically the issue seems to be that either the CPU/GPU or some BGA chip has failed or is not working properly and the widely accessible repair is either reball or reflow said chip. I came upon this video where a guy basically says BGA reballing is most of the time a scam and that when it works its usually due the thermal expansion of the chips internals setting up in a way that allows it to operate.

I have heard alot of stupid stuff from what I think is this guys archetype in the firearms hobby. Stuff like "Shake your ammo to keep the powder from caking in on area" stuff that sounds good in theory to an untrained ear but isn't a real thing in reality. What I would really like is to have citations and sources this guy neglected to post, possibly input from someone who knows real engineering info about this stuff.

So is BGA reballing the same chip repair or a tactic of a hucktser?
You have to understand the context in which he says this. He is a repair guy who doesn't want returns. There is probably some truth to what he's saying. Can reballing permanently repair the issue? Sure it can, but you could also be dealing with a bad chip, and the issue may reappear. He did the math and it's cheaper for him to just replace the chip from a donor board than chance it coming back. He certainly has vast amounts of experience and I can't really question him on it.

For instance few years back nVidia admitted to their GPUs being badly packaged and having a high failure rate: https://gigaom.com/2009/01/14/why-apples-macbook-pro-nvidia-gpu-extended-service-program-is-inadequate/

Simultaneously in PC overclocker community it was common for folks to "bake" their video cards with some limited amount of success. In some cases temporary.

He's probably right.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 09:17:27 pm »

if you have to ask the answer is no. put everything on craiglist and enjoy $10.
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Ridah

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 09:40:13 pm »

It is these types of douchebag comments that remind me why I don't use forums much. 

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 09:48:10 pm »
Can reballing permanently repair the issue? Sure it can,
Sure it can not except some rare exceptions.
but you could also be dealing with a bad chip, and the issue may reappear.
You are dealing with a faulty chip with 95+% probability
Simultaneously in PC overclocker community it was common for folks to "bake" their video cards with some limited amount of success. In some cases temporary.
Idiot community destroying the hardware beyond further repair possibility. Also idiots disassembling their laptop and heating the GPU every two weeks with incandescent bulb on top. Seen plenty of such laptops, screws lost, most of the FPCs destroyed.

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 09:52:26 pm »
wow, how the hell did he not smell it burning, the smell must have been awful.

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 10:16:55 pm »

It is these types of douchebag comments that remind me why I don't use forums much.
Fair call, I sometimes find him abrupt too. On the flip side though, I thought this was wittier than usual.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2016, 11:09:17 pm »
so you only want to hear the answer that you like? ok yes you can do something usefull to it such as put it where some fishes can breed... or maybe like this...

Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2016, 02:14:56 am »
Here is the deal, Rossman bombed out of school (his own admission) and had no formal training in any type of engineering, he gives a truckload of advice and criticizes (ad nauseam) everything else that moves. To the causal observer he appears to know what he is talking about, to more seasoned engineers especially cross disciplined, he is a novice.

Now back to the subject is reheating BGA a suitable repair? yes and no. If you cannot inspect the ball work you can consider it experimental at best, it's also arguable that without adding flux it won't be a permanent fix. If the failures root cause is known and it's not an inherent design issue that will keep reoccurring the chance of success is greater. So it's circumstances plus how the repair is performed that determines the chance of failing at a later date.

The "true engineering" way of doing it would be to use a new component account for the root cause and use a similar process used in manufacture (or adjust as necessary) to repair it.

But not everyone has that money laying around for a games console only worth a couple of hundred bucks or less. So they will probably get a relatively unskilled repairer (depending on location).

The bottom of the barrel is where all the sharks feed, and if you pay peanuts you get monkeys, same deal for repairers as it is with mechanics, builders, plumbers, customer service etc.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2016, 02:34:26 am »
Here is the deal, Rossman bombed out of school (his own admission) and had no formal training in any type of engineering, he gives a truckload of advice and criticizes (ad nauseam) everything else that moves. To the causal observer he appears to know what he is talking about, to more seasoned engineers especially cross disciplined, he is a novice.
Frankly saying, seasoned engineers often are completely useless at repairs, especially like in this particular case.
Now back to the subject is reheating BGA a suitable repair?
It is suitable in two cases: 1. If you need 2 more weeks out of your device, 2. if you are a repair tech without any morale and obligation.

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2016, 02:39:24 am »
I kind of enjoyed this videos, he seems to have found a service in demand and making a living on it. My main questions is where does he get his donor boards for parts exchange?

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2016, 03:15:26 am »
Frankly saying, seasoned engineers often are completely useless at repairs, especially like in this particular case.

Yep which is why I mentioned cross disciplined, a software engineer for example may have a hard time grasping the physics and chemistry side of things.

It is suitable in two cases: 1. If you need 2 more weeks out of your device, 2. if you are a repair tech without any morale and obligation.

Well as I eluded to vaguely, it comes down often to cost and that means competency of the repairer and type of repair. Some repairers think they are doing a great job and aren't, some know damn well it's going to come back, some do a really nice job for the money.

Offline JoeO

• Frequent Contributor
  • I admit to being deplorable
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2016, 03:19:53 am »
I kind of enjoyed this videos, he seems to have found a service in demand and making a living on it. My main questions is where does he get his donor boards for parts exchange?
He has mentioned it off hand in a few videos.  Ali Express.  They have holes drilled in them.

He also buys used/dead Apple laptops.
The day Al Gore was born there were 7,000 polar bears on Earth.
Today, only 26,000 remain.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2016, 04:24:29 am »

There are many "sins of the repairer" in the repair and service industry (not just electronics). Perks (if you like free parts), scams and cons are frequent and some of these guys are professional bullshit artists.

Customers often don't come back to pay for the repair.
A customer may be told it's an uneconomical repair and leave their device.
A customer may be told it's an uneconomical repair on a simple job and get sold a new device with an enticement of a discount. "Would you like a data transferal service with that as well?"
Customer may voluntarily leave parts for the store (recycling or they don't want their old part).
The device will be repaired and sold if possible or raided for parts.

Customers may be downgraded or parts removed without them knowing.
Customers may end up with "value added" repairs where extra faults are added to the bill.
Parts may be raided from a customers device and reused in another repair job.

Repairers could source the genuine part or quality equivalent. But many customers would not know the difference sadly. If the parts don't just walk in the front door, they could have been purchased cheap and inferior brands or secondhand components, wrecked or water damaged pcbs, or the wrong components and specs may even be used.

There is the "no-fix-fix" where nothing is done and it's just given back to the customer and billed.
There is the "if-it-works-leave-it fix" where a faulty part is removed and the customer is none the wiser and given the bill.

Faulty or junk bin parts are sometimes shown to the customer from another repair to justify the price or faults.

Service bulletins or parts recalls often have warranty provided free parts and labor supplied by the manufacturer. The repairer could claim these back from the manufacturer but still give the customer a bill. Charge when the device should have really been a warranty job, or charge when the sent the device to the manufacturer and did no work at all.

Vintage parts being unnecessarily removed (for resale) during a repair or restoration could leave the customer with a bill and the repairer some extra sales and then some nice parts to sell to another customer for top dollar.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 03:54:14 am by Shock »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf