Author Topic: Reflashing or resetting a FeelTech FY6600 Signal Generator  (Read 22156 times)

Offline Malvineous

• Contributor
Re: Reflashing or resetting a FeelTech FY6600 Signal Generator
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2018, 07:41:20 am »
So what was the verdict on this in the end?  As far as I can make out from the other thread, versions up to 3.1 would suffer from corrupted displays but 3.1 fixed this, however 3.1 is still susceptible to loss of sine wave storage.  3.2 has been available in the wild for about a month now but nobody seems to have reported any failures with this version yet.

Also not sure whether anyone has repaired a failed unit by reflashing a newer firmware version with a programmer.

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2018, 07:50:15 am »
So what was the verdict on this in the end?  As far as I can make out from the other thread, versions up to 3.1 would suffer from corrupted displays but 3.1 fixed this, however 3.1 is still susceptible to loss of sine wave storage.  3.2 has been available in the wild for about a month now but nobody seems to have reported any failures with this version yet.

Also not sure whether anyone has repaired a failed unit by reflashing a newer firmware version with a programmer.

The trial it's still on, in the other thread the communication protocol is being decoded and a new firmware will eventually be made. The firmware 3.2 has no reported issues so far, the power supply still need to be grounded or replaced, changing some components on the signal board will give you some improvements, especially visible at high levels.

The original firmware was not copied yet and it's doubtful that will ever be, the STM32 chip used there it's used in a lot of other projects, if the copy protection will be bypassed it will be yuuuuge.

On the other side, the front panel board has the infrastructure needed to update the firmware, come in the other threads and contribute, at least with improvement ideas for the new FOSS firmware, better fonts will be guaranteed ;).

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Offline Malvineous

• Contributor
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2018, 12:05:59 pm »
Thanks for the info!  I might have to join the effort, I've always wanted to write my own firmware for something.  I found the grounding issue this morning after getting a very mild shock, I measured 200VAC on the BNC shield and came looking to see how people solved it, then found that the units are prone to breakage...  I have temporarily worked around the grounding issue by using the BNC to BNC cable that came with the unit to connect one of the rear inputs to an unused output on the back of my scope, because after reading the issues here I'm not ready to void the warranty by installing a proper mains connector just yet!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf