Author Topic: Removing HP 3478A front bezel and panel  (Read 1449 times)

Offline rhbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Removing HP 3478A front bezel and panel
« on: March 31, 2018, 12:57:06 am »
I've looked at the service manual and the instrument.  I can't tell if I don't understand it or it's just being stubborn.

Does it come off towards the front or the back?  I did a search and found two teardown videos, but neither removed the front panel or bezel.

Offline marty

• Contributor
Re: Removing HP 3478A front bezel and panel
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 08:26:09 am »
Page 5-2 n,o,p,q

says front, towards you. so basically free the tabs, push the board towards you until tabs cleared, squish the sides.

If you have more problems I can disassemble mine with a video.

The following users thanked this post: rhb, No.Mad

Offline rhbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 03:03:25 pm »
Thank you.  That's much better than the description in section 6. I was scanning from back to front when I came across the very terse description in section 6.  It's also more involved than I want to do just to clean it, at least for now. I will likely want to add an LED backlight in some manner eventually.

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 02:13:21 am »
  I haven't had a 3478 apart but I have taken other HP meters and power supplies with that type display apart and what I had to do was to take the case off then remove the screws that held the front panel section to the rest of the chassis.  Unplug the cables and remove the FP section. Then look along the top and bottom edges and you'll see a couple of slots. Inside are plastic latches that stick straight back from the front bezel and that have hooks on the end.  The hooks latch into the slots on the FP frame.  You have to very carefully reach into the slots and press down from the top and up from the bottom, and release the hooks. The arms of the latches are easily broken and it's handful to get all four of them to release at the same time.  But once you do, you can slide the bezel out from the front.  On mine, once I had the bezel off I actually put the unit back together without a bezel and when I received the new bezel I just snapped it into place from the front.

Offline rhbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 01:53:00 am »
On the 3478A you have to remove the board from the chassis.  Then you separate the front panel.  It's far more work than I thought.  I opted to clean in place.  It looks much nicer now.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf