Author Topic: Repair challege (Just kidding)  (Read 996 times)

Offline TerraHertzTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
Repair challege (Just kidding)
« on: December 15, 2017, 12:00:11 am »
Here's a street-tossed battery power backup system, that I picked up solely to take pics of the horror.
They appear to have been in a basement or something, where the sump pump failed. Ie they were immersed in dirty water for quite a while. Even from the outside looking like complete writeoffs. Probably not even any salvageable components.

Sure enough... after breaking open the case with an angle grinder, due to rusted-in screws... yuk.
Sad.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Repair challege (Just kidding)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 01:32:33 am »
I bet I could fix the one on the right, I've restored water damaged equipment in worse shape than that. Now whether it's worth putting any effort into repairing I don't know. These days I only bother messing with inverters of the true sine type.

Offline TerraHertzTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 01:51:20 am »
The one on the right is a mains to battery charger. The larger one is a battery to sine wave mains inverter. I'm guessing they were used as a pair, with the charger placed a bit higher up so it didn't get as dunked. A few components in it are worth salvaging.
They are both now reduced to scrap metal.

The same street toss pile had a lot of hand and power tools, in the same condition. Ie been underwater for a while. I bet someone was pissed when the disaster was discovered.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 11:02:42 pm »
You should have given it to Shango066. He would have gone "this looks like shit!" then a few minutes later it would have magically decided to start working. ;D
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf