Author Topic: Repair Gaggia Coffee Macjine  (Read 3999 times)

Offline andycsmithTopic starter

• Contributor
Repair Gaggia Coffee Macjine
« on: March 25, 2016, 04:46:16 pm »
Hi,

I had a problem with my Gaggia Classic over six several months ago, started watching EEV Blog about 4 months ago. and suddenly had the realization  that I could post here for some help.

I identified the problem, the solenoid coil has blown. I have been trying to find a replacement but cannot track the actual part down, can someone point me in the right direction.

I'm looking for a Parker Coil KP07, these are the markings on the coil

Coil KP07     7W
VE 108 GBV
220 230V~ 50Hz
0 - 10 bar
100% ED
IP65

Thanks,

Andy

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Repair Gaggia Coffee Macjine
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 05:21:32 pm »
Is the coil able to move on the shaft, or is it welded in place. If you can remove it you will find that you can get a coil with the same inner diameter, length, voltage and power and put it in place on the stainless steel shaft. These coils are common parts, available at most industrial electrics suppliers, though the one you get might have a DIN or Mini DIN plug on it ( 3 blade connectors) as opposed to a wire lead. The wire lead ones are common as water entry valves on washing machines, so you might look at a scrap washing machine or dishwasher ( or a white goods spares supplier) for a matching dimension coil.

Offline Alfons

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 05:24:14 pm »
Are you sure, that the valve is defective? That would be the first time, that I hear them and I have a lot of machines repaired. Have you dissasembled it? Perhaps it is only calcified or clogged. That happened after prolonged exposure or descaling, that dissolve particles and clog the valve.

Offline BurningTantalum

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 03:48:14 am »
Andy does say that the coil is blown- presumably this means O/C.
It may be worth having a look at the termination of the fine wire onto the lead-outs or crimp blades before proceeding further. A decent  magnifying glass is a good friend.
 This type of coil lends itself to a simple rewind, if you can be bothered. A battery drill driver in a vice and a coil of replacement wire on a spool clamped a distance away, with a human finger as a tensioner. If the wire is the same diameter as the original then the wound diameter on the coil is a good enough measure of the required length. The wire can be sourced by unwinding from a scrap coil from a variety of sources.
Regards,  BT

Offline andycsmithTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 02:02:25 pm »
SeanB The coil comes off, I think it is DIN, three pins at right angles to each other, one large pin with two smaller pins each side. Where can I buy just one replacement in UK.

Alfons It is the coil, I have dismantled the machine and the coil is open circuit on all pins

BurningTantalum Does not look easy to rewind, encased in plastic and I don't have the tools to do it. Nice idea though.

I can replace both Coil and Valve, but that seams a waste. The problem occurred when I left the coffee machine on for a few hours, everything else works AFAIK. I think I have attached a photo.

Thanks,

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 02:10:14 pm »
Ultra common coil there, available from many industrial electrical suppliers. Festo will have one that fits, see your local Festo supplier, or any industrial pneumatic or hydraulic supplier. I have replaced similar ones that burnt out, most commonly those that run at high duty cycles, though those can also fail from thermal stresses. If it fell off the coil it will burn out in under 3 minutes.

Offline BurningTantalum

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 02:53:05 pm »
Apologies- I imagined an open winding type of coil. I can't remember if these coils are actually encapsulated or the plastic is just a 'cover'. Long time since I worked with pneumatics and PLCs !
Sean is right about the coils being a bit marginal. I haven't checked but the coil current may be higher without the slug in the middle. I have also noticed that the washing machine water solenoids do not like operating without water passing through, and on washer dryers the dry solenoid seems to die more often than the others possibly because it is ON for longer, and the water flow is tiny due to restriction.
BT

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf