Author Topic: Repair of Tektronix DPO4104 scope  (Read 2127 times)

Offline richardeTopic starter

Repair of Tektronix DPO4104 scope
« on: October 20, 2018, 10:25:53 am »
We have recently acquired a Tek DPO4104 (for spares) but found that the instrument had been deliberately damaged. All five BNCs for the 4 channels and the Aux In (and many of the other connectors) had been attacked with needle-nosed pliers. Having dismantled the unit we can see that a repair should be relatively simple by replacing the BNCs but we have been unable to identify the specific manufacturer/part. They are a rather unusual extended, vertical, through-hole pcb mounted, panel or bulkhead mounting, 50 ohm jack (see photo). The jack is 31.2mm to the pcb surface, 24.6mm to the shoulder "bumps" for the mounting surface and 18mm to the start of the threads. The second photo (from another post) shows the jacks in situ with the panel mount clamping to the shield cover.

Tektronix (of course) say that the BNC jacks are not availabale as a spare part and the entire board needs to be replaced :box:

Anyone know who the manufacturer of the jack might be or know the actual part number? Thanks

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
Re: Repair of Tektronix DPO4104 scope
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 11:42:07 am »
They don't look too bad on your photo.

I have donor DPO4034 board, so we can make a trade. I'll send you BNC connectors, in return of shipping cost and hi-res photos of your DPO4104 board.
Photos of the front-end under cans would be greatly appreciated. To remove cans you need desolder two tabs of the back can to free it from the PCBA. Front can held just by BNC mounts.

My donor board:

YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 10:56:05 am »
Hi
Thanks for your reply. That certainly works from my standpoint if it does for you? PM me the cost and how to get it to you or I may be able to arrange for (say) UPS to collect?

We have already removed the shielding cans and I can take some "tiles" of the board at high res and put them up in a "Box" folder and then publish the link? or PM you?

Although our connectors don't look damaged from the angle of the photo I took before (which was to illustrate the form factor of the Tek BNCs) they are pretty mangled (see new photos)

We are also (potentially) looking for a functioning I/O board for one of these units as one of our other DPO4104s has a dead I/O board. (see the photo of the whole unit for the USB and CompactFlash connector layout. Later units had a different arrangement.)

Offline Samogon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 12:54:47 am »
I wonder did you try to test if acquisition board is ok?

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 08:23:41 am »
The initial checks seem to indicate that it is, but with the damaged connectors we weren't able to give it a full quality check

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf